Even/Odd solutions for particles in boxes

• I
  • Thread starter MaestroBach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, for both infinite and finite particle in boxes, there are even and odd solutions which correspond to even and odd numbered n values. The even solutions have a sin function form and the odd solutions have a cos function form. The terms "even" and "odd" refer to the symmetry of the problem under reflections at the midpoint of the interval. The book may have mistakenly associated the odd solutions with cosine instead of the even solutions.
MaestroBach
TL;DR Summary
I don't get the even/odd solutions
My book tells me that, for both infinite and finite particle in boxes, that:

Even solutions are for n = 2, 4, 6, etc and have a sin function form, while odd solutions are for n = 1, 3, 5 etc and have a cos function form.

I'm very confused though, because sin functions are odd and cosine functions are even. Do the even and odd terms just apply to the n values?

Also, as a side-note, do these solutions have n-1 nodes?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how you localize your "box". If you choose the interval as ##[0,a]## you get much more simple
$$u_n(x)=\sin(n k x), \quad n \in \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,3,\ldots \}, \quad k=\frac{\pi}{a}.$$
"Even" and "Odd" refers to the symmetry of the problem under reflections at the midpoint ##x_0=a/2## of the interval, i.e., under the transformation ##x \rightarrow a-x##. This is the parity operation ##\hat{P}##. Indeed you get
$$\hat{P}u_n(x)=u_n(a-x)=(-1)^{n+1} u_n(x),$$
i.e., the odd-##n## eigenfunctions have positive, the even-##n## eigenfunctions negative parity.

If you make the interval ##[-a/2,a/2]##, then you get cos and sin solutions, which directly are even and odd functions under reflections ##x \rightarrow -x##. Of course these are the same solutions as with the other choice of the interval.

Likes DrClaude
vanhees71 said:
It depends on how you localize your "box". If you choose the interval as ##[0,a]## you get much more simple
$$u_n(x)=\sin(n k x), \quad n \in \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,3,\ldots \}, \quad k=\frac{\pi}{a}.$$
"Even" and "Odd" refers to the symmetry of the problem under reflections at the midpoint ##x_0=a/2## of the interval, i.e., under the transformation ##x \rightarrow a-x##. This is the parity operation ##\hat{P}##. Indeed you get
$$\hat{P}u_n(x)=u_n(a-x)=(-1)^{n+1} u_n(x),$$
i.e., the odd-##n## eigenfunctions have positive, the even-##n## eigenfunctions negative parity.

If you make the interval ##[-a/2,a/2]##, then you get cos and sin solutions, which directly are even and odd functions under reflections ##x \rightarrow -x##. Of course these are the same solutions as with the other choice of the interval.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Only thing I'm still confused about is that my book, which has the interval -a/2, a/2, associates the odd solutions with cosine, despite the fact that cosine is obviously even..

MaestroBach said:
That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Only thing I'm still confused about is that my book, which has the interval -a/2, a/2, associates the odd solutions with cosine, despite the fact that cosine is obviously even..

The book must mean odd and even numbered.

PeroK said:
The book must mean odd and even numbered.
Well that's very confusing, thanks

PeroK said:
he book must mean odd and even numbered.

So the odd solutions are even-numbered and the even solutions are odd-numbered.

That's really...odd.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
That's really...odd.
No, it's really even, at least as long as
...the odd solutions are even-numbered and the even solutions are odd-numbered.
:smile: SCNR

1. What are even and odd solutions for particles in boxes?

Even and odd solutions refer to the wave functions of particles in a confined space, such as a box. An even solution is symmetric about the center of the box, while an odd solution is anti-symmetric. This means that the probability of finding the particle at a certain point in the box is the same for an even solution, but opposite for an odd solution.

2. How are even and odd solutions different from each other?

Even and odd solutions have different mathematical forms and properties. Even solutions have a nodal plane at the center of the box, while odd solutions have a nodal point at the center. Additionally, even solutions have a higher probability of finding the particle at the center of the box compared to odd solutions.

3. What is the significance of even and odd solutions in quantum mechanics?

Even and odd solutions are important in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces. They are a result of the boundary conditions imposed on the wave function, and they help determine the energy levels and allowed states for a particle in a box. They also have applications in other areas of quantum mechanics, such as in studying the properties of atoms and molecules.

4. Can a particle have both even and odd solutions in a box?

No, a particle can only have either an even or odd solution in a box. This is because the wave function must satisfy the boundary conditions of the box, which can only be achieved by either an even or odd solution. However, a particle can have a linear combination of even and odd solutions, which can result in a more complex wave function.

5. How do even and odd solutions relate to the symmetry of a system?

The even and odd solutions of a particle in a box are related to the symmetry of the system. An even solution represents a symmetric system, while an odd solution represents an anti-symmetric system. This can have implications on the properties and behavior of the particle in the box, as well as the overall symmetry of the system.