Every natural number is sum of powers of 2

In summary, the claim states that every natural number n can be uniquely expressed in the form n = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm, where m≥0 and 0≤jo<j1<j2<...<jm. To prove this, two things need to be shown: existence and uniqueness. Existence can be proven using mathematical induction, while uniqueness can be proven by assuming two different representations of n and showing that they must be equal. This can be done by dividing both sides by the smallest power of 2 and iteratively showing that all the exponents on both sides are equal.
kingwinner
Claim: every natural number n can be uniquely expressed in the form
n = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
where m≥0 and 0≤jo<j1<j2<...<jm.

===========================

So I think we need to prove two things: (i) existence and (ii) uniqueness.
My idea is to prove existence first by mathematical induction, and after that prove uniqueness.
Base case:(n=1)
1=20 (jo=0, m=0)
So the claim is true for n=1

Induction hypothesis: Assume the claim is true for n=k, k≥1
i.e. k = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
With this, we need to prove that k+1=2to + 2t1 + 2t2 +...+ 2tp
where p≥0 and 0≤to<t1<t2<...<tp. (where p is not necessarily equal to m)
And now I am stuck. How can I prove that n=k+1 is true using the induction hypothesis? Notice that adding 20 may not work because it is possible that jo=0, and now I feel hopeless...

Any help is much appreciated!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the base 2 representation. To apply induction to the general case, divide n by 2, obtaining n = 2q + r, with r = 0 or 1, and apply the induction hypothesis to q.

JSuarez said:
This is the base 2 representation. To apply induction to the general case, divide n by 2, obtaining n = 2q + r, with r = 0 or 1, and apply the induction hypothesis to q.

Sorry, I don't get it...

In my first post, am I right so far? (i.e. are my base case and induction hypothesis correct?) Or are you suggesting something else?

kingwinner said:
Sorry, I don't get it...

In my first post, am I right so far? (i.e. are my base case and induction hypothesis correct?) Or are you suggesting something else?

Looks like a modified form of induction. Assume the hypothesis works for ALL n from 1 to m then prove that it is true for n = m + 1. Would that be what JSuarez is suggesting? Would it be a correct form of induction?

Why do we need strong induction?

Continuing from my work in post 1, may I should divide into 2 cases?
Case 1: jo>0
Case 2: jo=0

For Case 1: jo>0
Using the induction hypothesis, I can simply add 20 to get
k+1= 20 + 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
which is of the form
2to + 2t1 + 2t2 +...+ 2tp
with to=0, t1=jo, t2=j1, ..., tp=jm
so p≥0 and 0≤to<t1<t2<...<tp are satisfied, and we're done with case 1.

But I have no clue how to do the proof for case 2...can somebody help, please?

kingwinner said:
Why do we need strong induction?
Because it is an eazy proof when you use jSuarez's idea to divide m+1 by 2.

kingwinner said:

===========================

So I think we need to prove two things: (i) existence and (ii) uniqueness.
My idea is to prove existence first by mathematical induction, and after that prove uniqueness.
1=20 (jo=0, m=0)

Induction hypothesis: Assume the claim is true for n=k, k≥1
i.e. k = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
And now I am stuck. How can I prove that n=k+1 is true using the induction hypothesis? Notice that adding 20 may not work because it is possible that jo=0, and now I feel hopeless...

Any help is much appreciated!:)

How about every 2 occurences of 2 to the same power can be replaced with 2 to the next power again and again until there is at most one 2 of any given power?

What I suggested is Strong Induction, but you may also see it as a form of iterative division (by 2); given a number [tex]n[/tex], we have:

[tex]
n=2q_0+r_0
[/tex]
[tex]
q_0=2q_1+r_1
[/tex]

therefore [tex]n = 2\left(2q_1+r_1\right) + r_0 = 2^{2}q_1 + 2r_1 + r_0[/tex]

Eventually the process stops when [tex]q_m<2[/tex]; as the sequence of remainders [tex]r_i \in \left\{0,1\right\}[/tex], you have the required representation.

OK, so I will try strong induction.

1=20 (jo=0, m=0)

Induction hypothesis: Assume the claim is true for 1≤n≤k, k≥1
So for example, for n=k, assume k = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
(but I am not sure how to write in terms of notation for the other natural numbers 1,2,...,k-1)

Now if I divide into two cases (case 1: k is odd, case 2: k is even), will that work?
If k is odd, k+1 is even, and (k+1)/2 is an integer, and by induction hypothesis it can be expressed as sums of powers of 2. Is that right?

But in strong induction, how can I state the induction hypothesis properly?
For n=k, we can say k = 2jo + 2j1 + 2j2 +...+ 2jm
But how about n=1,2,...,k-1? The exponents for each natural number is not necessarily the same, and "m" is not necessarily the same.

Last edited:
To prove uniqueness, suppose
[itex]
2^{\jmath_1}+2^{\jmath_2}+\cdots +2^{\jmath_r}=2^{k_1}+2^{k_2}+\cdots+2^{k_\ell}
[/tex]

WLOG, I assume j1≤k1.
Divide both sides by j1, we get:
[itex]
1+2^{\jmath_2-\jmath_1}+\cdots=2^{k_1-\jmath_1}+2^{k_2-\jmath_1}+\cdots
[/tex]
The left side is odd, so the right side must be odd and this implies that the first term of the RHS must be 20
=> j1=k1

Now subtract 2j1 from both sides
=> [itex]
2^{\jmath_2}+\cdots=2^{k_2}+\cdots
[/tex]

Repeat the above steps, we can show that j2=k2, j3=k3,...

But now how can I justify properly that ALL of the j's are equal to the corresponding k's? To prove rigorously, do I need induction? But I don't think induction works becuase rather than the set of all natural numbers, here there is an "upper bound" on the subscript of the j's and k's.

Any help is much appreciated!

My point is mathematical induction are used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers, or the starting point may be higher, e.g. for all n=4,5,6,... Both are INFINITE sets.

How can we use mathematical induction to prove that something is true for e.g. n=1,2,3,4? (instead of continuing forever, here there is a cut off point at n=4). How can we use math induction to prove statements like this?

Apologies for the late response, but the last days were hectic.

Look, you're complicating things too much; the result you want to prove is just the existence and uniqueness of the binary representation of a natural number and, for any base > 1, this is actually simple.

But there is also some confusions about induction in [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] that I'll try to dispel.

(1) The basic (or weak) form of induction is this: for any set [tex] X \subseteq \mathbb N[/tex], if:

[tex]0\in X[/tex] and [tex]\forall n \in \mathbbN\left(n \in X\rightarrow n + 1 \in X\right)[/tex]

then we may conclude that [tex]\forall n \in \mathbb N \left(n\in X\right)[/tex].

(2) And there is an alternative form of induction (the equivalence between the two is proved in mathematical logic), called strong (or course-of-values), induction; it states that, for any set [tex] X \subseteq \mathbb N[/tex], if:

[tex]\forall n,m \in \mathbb N \left(m<n \wedge m \in X \rightarrow n \in X \right)[/tex]

then we may conclude [tex]\forall n \in \mathbb N \left(n\in X\right)[/tex].

The principal difference between the weak and strong induction schemes is that the latter assumes that the hypothesis is valid for all the natural numbers less than n, while the former only assumes truth for the immediate predecessor of n. One consequence of the stronger assumption is that there is no base cases in strong induction; they are always automatically true.

Now, I'll repeat the original argument:

Let [tex]n\in \mathbb N[/tex]; dividing by 2, we have:

[tex]n=2q+r , 0\leq r \leq 1[/tex]

Now, q < n; so, applying strong induction (so that q doesn't need to be the immediate predecessor of n), we may assume that:

[tex]q = 2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}[/tex]

And introducing this in n = 2q + r, we have:

[tex] n = 2\left(2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}\right) + r=
2^{i_1+1}+2^{i_2+1}+...+2^{i_k+1}+r[/tex]

If r = 0, we're done; if r =1, then replace by [tex]2^{0}[/tex].

JSuarez said:
The principal difference between the weak and strong induction schemes is that the latter assumes that the hypothesis is valid for all the natural numbers less than n, while the former only assumes truth for the immediate predecessor of n. One consequence of the stronger assumption is that there is no base cases in strong induction; they are always automatically true.

Now, I'll repeat the original argument:

Now, q < n; so, applying strong induction (so that q doesn't need to be the immediate predecessor of n), we may assume that:

[tex]q = 2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}[/tex]

If r = 0, we're done; if r =1, then replace by [tex]2^{0}[/tex].
If I hear you right I think you don't have a proof in strong induction if there is no base case for which the hypothesis is true!

I. E. Proof that there are more than one unique form of

[tex] n = 2\left(2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}\right) + r=
2^{i_1+1}+2^{i_2+1}+...+2^{i_k+1}+r[/tex]

Proof by strong induction,

[tex]q = 2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}[/tex] and
[tex]q = 2^{j_1}+2^{j_2}+...+2^{j_m}[/tex]
[tex]n = 2*(2^{i_1}+2^{i_2}+...+2^{i_k}) +r[/tex] and
[tex]n = 2*( 2^{j_1}+2^{j_2}+...+2^{j_m}) + r[/tex]
If r = 0, we're done; if r =1, then replace by [tex]2^{0}[/tex]

kingwinner said:

You're wanting to prove is that any natural base 10 number can be converted to binary? So what? They can also be converted to base 3, base 4, or any other base. And, in each case there is only one (unique) way in which the number can be written.

zgozvrm said:
You're wanting to prove is that any natural base 10 number can be converted to binary? So what? They can also be converted to base 3, base 4, or any other base. And, in each case there is only one (unique) way in which the number can be written.

Yes and one proof would be very much the same as here. Do you have a better proof?

Maybe I am missing something, but if we have shown that 1 is a power of 2, and for some natural number k=>1, we are assuming k is a sum of powers of 2, wouldn't k+1 necessarily be of the correct form since we are adding a power of two to a finite sum of powers of two we are left with a finite sum of powers of 2.

Maybe said another way, since 1 is a power of 2,
k=1+1+...+1 for any k is a sum of powers of 2

of course this doesn't quite fit your hypothesis since you want exponents to be unique, but one could easily group terms to express k in the desired form.

Its not as elegant as the other solution but it seems as though this works(I say that somewhat hesitantly)

Btw, isn't this akin to how egyptians performed multiplication, by expressing factors as sums of powers of 2?

crd said:
Maybe I am missing something, but if we have shown that 1 is a power of 2, and for some natural number k=>1, we are assuming k is a sum of powers of 2, wouldn't k+1 necessarily be of the correct form since we are adding a power of two to a finite sum of powers of two we are left with a finite sum of powers of 2.

Maybe said another way, since 1 is a power of 2,
k=1+1+...+1 for any k is a sum of powers of 2

of course this doesn't quite fit your hypothesis since you want exponents to be unique, but one could easily group terms to express k in the desired form.

Its not as elegant as the other solution but it seems as though this works(I say that somewhat hesitantly)

Btw, isn't this akin to how egyptians performed multiplication, by expressing factors as sums of powers of 2?

Your right, but it would be a great deal of more work to "group terms" to make the exponents of 2 different from each other when there is a simple algorithm to express any natural number as the sum of unique powers of 2. I am quite sure that the early Egyptians were aware of this if they did their multiplication in base 2, but I never heard of that before. BTW it is much simpler to do multiplication in base 2 if the numbers are properly in their unique base 2 format.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Your right, but it would be a great deal of more work to "group terms" to make the exponents of 2 different from each other when there is a simple algorithm to express any natural number as the sum of unique powers of 2. I am quite sure that the early Egyptians were aware of this if they did their multiplication in base 2, but I never heard of that before. BTW it is much simpler to do multiplication in base 2 if the numbers are properly in their unique base 2 format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_multiplication

What does the statement "Every natural number is sum of powers of 2" mean?

The statement means that every positive integer can be written as a sum of distinct powers of 2, where the exponents are non-negative integers.

Is this statement true for all natural numbers?

Yes, this statement is true for all natural numbers. It is a fundamental concept in number theory known as the binary representation of numbers.

How is this statement relevant in mathematics?

This statement is relevant in mathematics because it helps us understand the underlying structure of natural numbers and their relationship with powers of 2. It also has practical applications in computer science, particularly in binary operations and coding.

What is an example of a natural number being written as a sum of powers of 2?

One example is the number 11, which can be written as 23 + 21 + 20 = 8 + 2 + 1. Another example is 27, which can be written as 24 + 23 + 20 = 16 + 8 + 1.

Are there any exceptions to this statement?

No, there are no exceptions to this statement. Every natural number can be written as a sum of powers of 2, even if it requires using multiple powers of the same base.