Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimmypoopins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Associate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
jimmypoopins
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


F a field.

Prove that every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since F is a field, there exists a unit u in F and a function f(x) in F[x] such that g(x)=uf(x) with g(x) in F[x] a monic associate of f(x).

----
I'm having issues figuring out how to explain that it's unique. I haven't done a proof like that before and I only have the proofs in class to go about doing that.

I want to say something that then there also exists a unit u' in F such that g(x)=u'f(x) but am i allowed to then say u'f(x)=uf(x) and cancel the f's?

i just need a little push in the right direction. thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose deg(f)=n and write f(x) = a0 + a1x + ... + anxn. As I'm presuming you already know, the units in F[x] are precisely the nonzero elements in F. (If you don't know this, prove it! This is basically the essence of the problem.) So take any nonzero u in F and look at uf(x); if this is monic, then uan=1. What can we conclude now?