1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F a field.

Prove that every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since F is a field, there exists a unit u in F and a function f(x) in F[x] such that g(x)=uf(x) with g(x) in F[x] a monic associate of f(x).

----
    I'm having issues figuring out how to explain that it's unique. I haven't done a proof like that before and I only have the proofs in class to go about doing that.

I want to say something that then there also exists a unit u' in F such that g(x)=u'f(x) but am i allowed to then say u'f(x)=uf(x) and cancel the f's?

i just need a little push in the right direction. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose deg(f)=n and write f(x) = a0 + a1x + ... + anxn. As I'm presuming you already know, the units in F[x] are precisely the nonzero elements in F. (If you don't know this, prove it! This is basically the essence of the problem.) So take any nonzero u in F and look at uf(x); if this is monic, then uan=1. What can we conclude now?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?