medphys said:
Currently
medical physicists especially fresh graduates are experiencing difficulty in landing jobs. But the future is bright, think about the population ages. If you enroll in med phys now, after 5 years (assume MSc and residency) the market will be back, and you will have a good career.
This might sound rude, but I heard the same thing about astrophysics in 1990, and I'm inclined to discount any predictions of the job market in five years.
This goes with my field (finance). I don't know at all what finance is going to be like in five years, and I have no real clue if there will or won't be a demand for physics Ph.D.'s in five years in finance. I think it's much wiser to have general skills that will work well regardless of how the market goes.
I have this ethical dilemma, because on the one hand, what I do is really cool, but on the other hand, someone in 2010 is simply not going to be able to follow the same path that I did, because it is 2010 and not 2005, and I don't want to mislead people into thinking that I can. One reason I try to be careful, is that if I get 1000 people to go into finance, and it's 2020 and it turns out the jobs aren't there, then I'm going to feel really lousy, so I try to be careful not to give advice on things that I can't deliver on.
Also the career you start in, will likely not be the one you finish in. One thing that I have found is that if you do have a field that booms, then there just won't be enough specialists in the field to meet demand, so they'll start pulling people from other fields. I'm sure that if the people that make the decisions could find people specially trained in derivatives modeling, then wouldn't hire astrophysicists, but they can't so they do.