Medical Physics in the UK: Coming from overseas?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Beer-monster
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Hi all

I was hoping a medical physicist from the UK may be able to help me out or point me in the right direction.

I'm a British Citizen but for the last 5 years I have lived in Canada (my wife is Canadian). During this time I switched from a PhD in Condensed Matter physics to Medical Physics and expect to graduate with an MSc in Medical Physics within the next year. However, I also expect to return to the UK soon after that.

I'm aware that in the UK, Medical Physicists undergo a graduate training scheme which blends practical experience with the MSc. As I would already possesses the MSc (which is accredited by the Canadian Equivalent of IPEM and will likely cover the same material) I am wondering how I can get into Medical Physics in the UK with my Canadian qualification.

I could not find any especially useful information on the IPEM website and so would like to hear from someone in the field to get a "boots on the ground" perspective, if possible. However, I would appreciate any advice that you guys have to offer.

Thanks

BM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BM,

I'm a Canadian medical physicist, so unfortunately I don't have much advice to offer by way of advice for getting into the field in the UK. If you're not already headed there you might want to consider registering for this year's COMP/IOMP conference in Toronto in a few weeks. It's going to be a big conference and there will be plenty of physicists in town from overseas who will be able to answer questions that you might have.
 
Hi Choppy

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't make the COMP/IOMP conference this year. I'm hoping to attend and maybe present at next years event.

However, the general idea, of getting out to a conference to network with someone who may be able to point me in the right direction, is a great suggestion and is much appreciated.

BM