Evolution of universe with differing SOL

In summary, the question is whether our universe would be similar if the speed of light was drastically different while everything else remained the same. This has been explored in discussions of universes with different dimensions, without a strong arrow of time, and with varying physical constants. However, it is difficult to determine the exact consequences without expert knowledge as changing the speed of light would also affect fundamental constants and potentially alter the existence of stars, fusion, planets, orbits, and galaxies.
tasp77
I have seen discussions of universes with different numbers of spatial dimensions, universes without a strong arrow of time, universes with differing physical constants, etc. but I was wondering

(here it comes, you are wondering)

(LOL)

would our universe be substantially similar with a drastically different speed of light?

(and everything else the same, protons and gravity and such)

For instance, if light propagated at 550 km/second ??

Or

if light traveled at 90,000,000,000 km/second ??

And by substantially similar, would there be stars, and fusion, and planets and orbits, and galaxies ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are unit systems where the speed of light is fixed to 1. It is just a conversion factor. If you don't change anything in natural units, nothing changes. Length and time do not have fundamental scales, unless you determine them via fundamental constants which include the speed of light.

tasp77 said:
I have seen discussions of universes with different numbers of spatial dimensions, universes without a strong arrow of time, universes with differing physical constants, etc. but I was wondering

(here it comes, you are wondering)

(LOL)

would our universe be substantially similar with a drastically different speed of light?

(and everything else the same, protons and gravity and such)

For instance, if light propagated at 550 km/second ??

Or

if light traveled at 90,000,000,000 km/second ??

And by substantially similar, would there be stars, and fusion, and planets and orbits, and galaxies ?

I looked into this once n a simplistic way. If c is different then many fundamental constants are different, and this would definitely make a difference. It was beyond me to say what. It would take a real expert to determine the consequences, and I think they have more practical things to do.

1. What is the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light?

The theory proposes that the speed of light was different in the early stages of the universe, and has been gradually decreasing over time.

2. How does the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light explain the expansion of the universe?

The theory suggests that as the speed of light decreases, the expansion of the universe slows down, which allows matter and energy to clump together and form galaxies and other structures.

3. What evidence supports the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light?

Some of the evidence includes the redshift of distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

4. How does the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity allows for the possibility of a changing speed of light, which is necessary for the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light to be valid.

5. What are the implications of the theory of evolution of the universe with differing speed of light for our understanding of the universe?

If the theory is proven to be true, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It would also have implications for other theories, such as the Big Bang theory and the concept of the expansion of the universe.