1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ex of chaos->order circular patterns in liquid chemical reaction

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know the experiment where distinct circular patterns appear to emerge in a liquid chemical reaction? This experiment was covered in my thermodynamics class due to its relevance of order emerging from chaos. All I remember about the experiment is that it was not believed at first for its results because it was so controversial. I think the experimenters were Russian Chemists and I think the chemicals formed yellow and red circular-like patterns.

Its a really cool experiment and stands out as one of the interesting facts I learned in my undergraduate as an example of order emerging from chaos. Unfortunately I cannot find the damn thing anywhere.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook