Ex of chaos->order circular patterns in liquid chemical reaction

In summary, there is an experiment called the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction that was discussed in a thermodynamics class due to its relevance in showing order emerging from chaos. The experiment was initially controversial and the Russian chemists who conducted it observed circular patterns in the yellow and red chemicals. It is considered an interesting example of order emerging from chaos, but it is currently difficult to find information about it.
rvmazzol
Does anyone know the experiment where distinct circular patterns appear to emerge in a liquid chemical reaction? This experiment was covered in my thermodynamics class due to its relevance of order emerging from chaos. All I remember about the experiment is that it was not believed at first for its results because it was so controversial. I think the experimenters were Russian Chemists and I think the chemicals formed yellow and red circular-like patterns.

Its a really cool experiment and stands out as one of the interesting facts I learned in my undergraduate as an example of order emerging from chaos. Unfortunately I cannot find the damn thing anywhere.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the process behind creating circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions?

In order to create circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions, a specific chemical mixture is required. This mixture typically includes a reactant that is able to diffuse and a catalyst that causes the reaction to occur. The reaction must also take place in a container with a flat bottom and sides, such as a petri dish. When the reactant diffuses and reacts with the catalyst, it creates a wave-like motion which causes the circular patterns to form.

2. How do scientists study and analyze these circular patterns?

Scientists use various techniques to study and analyze the circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions. One common method is to use time-lapse photography to record the patterns as they form and change over time. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the underlying mechanisms behind the patterns.

3. What is the significance of studying circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions?

Understanding circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature. These patterns can also be seen in other natural phenomena, such as animal coat patterns and ocean currents. By studying these patterns, scientists can gain a better understanding of how chaos can lead to order in various systems.

4. Can these circular patterns be controlled or manipulated?

While scientists have been able to create and observe circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions, they have not yet been able to fully control or manipulate them. This is because the complex interactions between the reactants and catalysts make it difficult to predict and control the patterns that will form.

5. Are there any practical applications for circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions?

While the study of circular patterns in liquid chemical reactions is still in its early stages, there are potential applications in fields such as materials science and nanotechnology. These patterns could also have implications for understanding and controlling complex systems in biology and engineering.