1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examination-Style Questions. Density of Material Questions (b)(i)(ii)

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    i have done few simple questions by using p = m/v to calculate the mass, volume and density, but for this question, i don't know how to do it. Please help ^^"
    (a) Define the density of a material.
    >Density is the mass of the material per unit volume.

(b)Brass, an alloy of copper and zinc, consists of 70% BY VOLUME of copper and 30% BY VOLUME of zinc.
    Density of Copper = 8.9 x 10^3kgm^-3
    Density of Zinc = 7.1 x 10^3kgm^-3

(i)Determine the mass of copper and the mass of zinc required to make a rod of bras of volume 0.80 x 10^-3m^3
    hmm..Cu = Mass x 70% x 8.9 x 10^3kgm^-3, Zn = Mass x 30% x 7.1 x 10^3kgm^-3...???
    (ii)Calculate the density of brass.
    I think i will know how to do this question if i know the answer for (i)... = =

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    oh yeah, for question (ii), should i just add up the two densities and divided by 2?...

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    Can someone answer for me please....

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4
    If you're told that brass is made of 70% copper (by volume) and 30% zinc (also by volume), why would you expect the density of brass to be made of equal portions?

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    so what should i do?

7. Jan 25, 2010 #6
    Not to sound cryptic, but I'll answer your question with another question: If you had to make a piece of copper that that had a volume of [itex]0.8\times10^{-3} \mathrm{m^3}[/itex], how would you go about finding the mass required? And if the previous volume were to be made of only zinc, what would its mass be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook