Density: Cube of Aluminum to Copper Sphere

In summary: Please see if you can edit the thread title to add "Solved". Thanks.In summary, we are trying to find the diameter of a copper sphere that has the same mass as a 9.00 cm x 9.00 cm x 9.00 cm cube of aluminum. Using the given densities of aluminum and copper, we can find the mass of the aluminum cube and then use the formula for the volume of a sphere to find the radius. However, there was an error in the calculation of the radius, as the cubic root was not taken. The correct diameter is 104.8877 cm.
JustinDaniels

Homework Statement

What is the diameter of a copper sphere that has the same mass as a 9.00 cm× 9.00 cm× 9.00 cm cube of aluminum?

Density of Aluminum = P(al) = 2.70g/cm3
Density of Copper = P(cu) = 8.96 g/cm3

Volume of Aluminum Cube = Vcube = 729 cm3

Homework Equations

Volume of a Sphere = 4/3pi(r3) - Note: We are solving for 2r (i.e. the diameter).
Density = Mass/Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Find the mass of the aluminum cube.
Density = Mass/Volume - substitute in known values
2.70g/cm3 = mass/729cm3
Mass = 1968.3 grams

2) Find the volume of the sphere.
Density = Mass/Volume
8.96 g/cm3 = 1968.3g/Volume
Volume = 219.676 cm3

3) Find the radius of the sphere.
Volume of a Sphere = 4/3pi(r3) - substitute in known values
219.676 = 4/3pi(r3)
Radius = 52.4438 cm

Diameter = Radius * 2 = 104.8877 cm

Everything looks pretty spot on to me; however, my online homework says this is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Justin Daniels.

P.S. This is my first post. Please let me know if I've failed to follow the format for posting questions, so I can correct this moving forward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I forgot to take the cubic root of the radius when solving in step 3. Sorry for the pointless thread, and thank you guys anyway!

JustinDaniels said:
219.676 = 4/3pi(r3)
Radius = 52.4438 cm
Your equation cannot possibly produce a radius that large. Check the calculation.

JustinDaniels said:
Edit: I forgot to take the cubic root of the radius when solving in step 3. Sorry for the pointless thread, and thank you guys anyway!
We crossed in the post.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is often referred to as the "compactness" of a material.

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The units for density are typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

3. What is the density of a cube of aluminum?

The density of aluminum is 2.70 g/cm3, so the density of a cube of aluminum will depend on the dimensions of the cube. For example, a cube with sides of 5 cm would have a volume of 125 cm3 and a mass of 337.5 grams, resulting in a density of 2.70 g/cm3.

4. What is the density of a copper sphere?

The density of copper is 8.96 g/cm3, so the density of a copper sphere will depend on its radius. The formula for the volume of a sphere is (4/3)πr3, so the mass of the sphere can be calculated by multiplying the volume by the density. For example, a sphere with a radius of 3 cm would have a volume of 113.1 cm3 and a mass of 1013.3 grams, resulting in a density of 8.96 g/cm3.

5. How does the density of aluminum compare to the density of copper?

Aluminum and copper have different densities, with aluminum being less dense than copper. This means that a given volume of aluminum will weigh less than the same volume of copper. In our example, the aluminum cube had a density of 2.70 g/cm3, while the copper sphere had a density of 8.96 g/cm3.