1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Example of a ring homomorphism that

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    Can anyone give an example of a ring homomorphism f : R -> R', such that R is a integral domain but the Image(f) is not an integral domain.

I was thinking that since we want two non zero elements of Image(f) multiply to 0, we require: f(xy) = f(x)f(y) = 0, with f(x), f(y) not 0. Now f(xy) = 0, we don't want xy = 0, because then either x = 0 or y = 0 as R is a domain, meaning f(x) = 0 or f(y) = 0, so we want xy not 0, but still gets mapped to 0. So f can't be injective.

But apart from that I can't think of anything else. I can't think of any function f that would make it work for simple domains like Z or Z_p p prime, or simple non domains like Z_n where n not prime, so can anyone think of a integral domain R and function f to make this work?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    What about Z to Z6 via the natural surjection?

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    What's wrong with the one from Z->Z_n , n not prime?

5. Jun 10, 2010 #4
    What's the map Z -> Z_6? E.g. what would 7 be mapped to? What's the map for Z -> Z_n?

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    The integers mod 6 or mod n. 7 would map to 1 in my case. You do have to check that this is a ring homomorphism but in fact it turns out to be so. More generally, since nZ is an ideal, the surjective homomorphism from Z to Z/nZ is always a ring homomorphism.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook