Add Error Bars to Individual Points in Excel 2008 for iOS

In summary, the conversation is about adding error bars to individual points in Excel, particularly in the iOS version. The person asking the question has found a way to add custom error bars for all points, but is looking for a way to add errors for each point individually. The responder suggests using the chart icons in the Mac OS version to select different error values for each point, and also suggests splitting the points into two series to apply different error bar settings.
Alaya1
Hi,

Okay, I'm in a bit of a rush: Can you put error bars on INDIVIDUAL points in Excel? I found the "custom" setting for the error bars, but you can only add custom error bars for ALL points. I'm looking for a way to mark errors for each point individually. Is there any way to do that?

I have Excel 2008 for iOS.

Thanks already,
Alma

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the IOS version, but in the Mac OS version (2011), when I get the box with fields for the + and - error values, there are little chart icons next to the fields. Clicking on one of those icons let's me select a column (or row) that contains the error values, which can be different for each point. They can also be different for + and -.

I don't do Excel, but, can you plan ahead and split your points into two different series so that you can apply the error bar setting to one of them?...just an idea, not knowing any better.

What is the purpose of adding error bars to individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS?

The purpose of adding error bars to individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS is to visually represent the uncertainty or variability of data points. They can help to show the range of possible values for a data point and can be used to compare and analyze data more accurately.

How do I add error bars to individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS?

To add error bars to individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS, select the data points you want to add error bars to, then go to the "Chart Layout" tab and click on "Error Bars." From there, you can customize the type, direction, and amount of error bars to add to your data points.

Can I customize the error bars on individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS?

Yes, you can customize the error bars on individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS. You can change the type of error bars (e.g. standard deviation, percentage, custom), the direction (e.g. plus, minus, both), and the amount (e.g. fixed value, standard error, custom value) to fit your specific data set.

Can I add error bars to only some of the data points in my chart in Excel 2008 for iOS?

Yes, you can add error bars to only some of the data points in your chart in Excel 2008 for iOS. Simply select the specific data points you want to add error bars to before following the steps to add error bars as mentioned above.

Why are my error bars not showing up on individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS?

There could be a few reasons why your error bars are not showing up on individual points in Excel 2008 for iOS. Double-check that you have selected the correct data points and that your error bar settings are configured correctly. If the problem persists, try restarting your device or updating your Excel app to the latest version.