Excluded from the inventor's lists

• Thread starter karenlau
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is feeling cheated by their institute after being informed that their name would be excluded from a patent filing they worked on from the beginning. Despite arguments from their project leader and department manager, the director does not agree to include the speaker's name on the patent. The speaker feels angry and believes they should resign due to this disagreement. They are seeking advice on the situation and the main question is whether the speaker can be considered an inventor of the idea going into the patent application. The expert suggests considering other potential benefits from the project and potentially discussing with the director about the speaker's involvement in the conceptual development of the idea.
karenlau
I feel cheated by my institute I worked for.

I heard from my project leader today that my name would be excluded from a patent filing. I worked in this project from the beginning. I think my project leader is fine if I am included in the file but my director(the head of institute) is not agree.
I heard from my project leader, my department manager argued that I should be included in the patent but the director doesn't agree because the inventors are too much (4 actually, but now is reduced to 2, project leader and department manager). I did the setup of the equipment and purchasing of the right materials. I really feel angry because I can use this patent in the school application form for PhD(I am a bachelor's degree holder). My project leader told me that I would be given a share if they can sell it.

It's not about money, it's about IP that I've been working for. It's really up to the institute whether they want to give me money or not (black and white agreement in the employment contract). I just feel that I shouldn't continue with the project because there's no point for me to be in. Actually I really feel I should resign for my disagreement with the treatment I get. Do you have any thought with the problem I face now? I need suggestion because I feel I want to come to the director office and spit on his face literally.

Physics news on Phys.org
The real question is whether you invented whatever it is that's going into the patent application. Unfortunately having worked on the project doesn't mean that the idea itself was yours. Patents are generally about the ideas and so just putting work in on a project doesn't necessarily entitle you to put your name on the patent.

Generally, I would say purchasing and setting up equipment doesn't entitle you to be named on a patent. If that's the extent of your envolvement, it doesn't necessarily entitle you to be named on any academic work to come out of the project either.

If you feel that you had a legitimate hand in the conceptual development of the idea, you may want to talk with this director (politely) and explain your reasoning. Be willing to listen to his position on the subject as well.

You may also want to consider other things that could come out of the project as well.
- Are there any academic publications coming that you might be named on?
- Will these people write you good letters of recommendation for graduate school?
- Could you use this experience as an opportunity to learn how the invention and development process works, so that when you have an idea of your own you can capitalize on it (before someone else with more experience does)?

1. What does it mean to be "excluded from the inventor's lists"?

Being excluded from the inventor's lists means that an individual or entity is not recognized as a contributor to the creation or invention of a particular product, process, or idea. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as not meeting the legal requirements for inventorship or being intentionally left off the list by the other inventors.

2. How is inventorship determined for a particular invention?

Inventorship is typically determined by the legal requirements set by the relevant patent laws. In most cases, an inventor is someone who has contributed to the conception of the invention, which includes the conception of the idea and the reduction to practice of the invention. It is important to note that inventorship can be a complex and contentious issue, and it is often determined through legal proceedings.

3. Can someone be added to or removed from the inventor's lists after a patent has been granted?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be added to or removed from the inventor's lists after a patent has been granted. This can happen through legal proceedings, such as a patent infringement lawsuit, where the inventorship of the patented invention is called into question. In some cases, the patent may need to be amended to reflect the correct inventorship.

4. What are the potential consequences of being excluded from the inventor's lists?

The consequences of being excluded from the inventor's lists can vary depending on the circumstances. In some cases, it may mean that the individual or entity is not entitled to any rights or royalties associated with the invention. It could also potentially lead to legal disputes and challenges to the validity of the patent. Additionally, being excluded from inventorship could impact one's reputation and credibility in the scientific community.

5. Is it possible for a non-scientist to be listed as an inventor?

Yes, it is possible for a non-scientist to be listed as an inventor. As long as the individual has contributed to the conception and reduction to practice of the invention, they can be considered an inventor. For example, a business executive who provided the idea for a new product could be listed as an inventor alongside the scientists who developed the product.