Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Exoskeleton for legs approved for sale

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I've seen many videos and articles reporting on various mobility aids such as this but I didn't realise it was close to market. A fantastic milestone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15644379

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

Borek

Noisy.

But fascinating.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

I'm hoping that the market presence will fuel the development of such technologies to make them widespread. The advantages over conventional solutions (i.e. wheelchairs) are immense.

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4
    And the battery or power supply has what capacity??

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

According to the manufacturers 2 hours of active use, apparently this can correspond to a whole day of use (it draws no power when standing still or sitting).
    http://www.rexbionics.com/What-is-Rex/Power-and-weight.aspx [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Nov 9, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Very promising! Early days, yet, but these things have a way of getting improved pretty rapidly once the prototypes are successful.

EDIT: The US has a lot of veterans with traumatic brain injuries and neurological deficits. I'll bet that we could help the inventors modestly, to speed up improvements and roll-out of more advanced models. Our VA is sadly underfunded, but these Scots probably don't need megabucks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook