Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Expanding space (and time?)

1. Feb 24, 2017 #1
    Hello all,
    at the beginning, let me say that I haven't studied General relativity yet, I might have some knowledge at popsci level only... So I apologize if the question looks stupid...

At cosmological scale we observe that universe is expanding. If I understood well, this includes only the spatial coordinates of the spacetime.
    How do we know that time is not expanding together with space?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How would you define the expansion of time?

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When we say that the Universe is expanding, this is the translation of a very precise mathematical statement to English for a particular way of describing it. The corresponding statement for time would be meaningless.

5. Feb 24, 2017 #4
    thanks guys, I needed to think about it twice to understand that such question doesn't make sense indeed

initially, my thinking was as following:
    we have 4 coordinates of spacetime: x,y,z,t. During expansion x,y,z coordinates are "stretched". I imagined that time coordinate can defined as ct, in order to be measured in the same units as x,y,z. So if the x,y,z are scaled by the expansion, why couldn't be ct?

Now I realized, that whatever I understand by expansion, it must be evolving with time. So expanding time as the time evolves, makes no sense indeed.

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Time is different. Expansion means that the distances defined by the spatial coordinates change with time. You can try to do the same with time, but differences in time changing with time can be removed by a simple change of coordinates.

7. Feb 24, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To take a similar example in a more familiar geometry:

Consider a set of circles in the plane. As you go to larger and larger radius, the circles become larger and larger. In the same language, we would say that the circumference of the circle expands with radius. However, it would be unclear (and not well defined what you meant) if you stated that the radius expanded with the radius (yes, you go to larger values of r, but the distance between r and r+dr is dr by definition).

In the expanding universe, time plays the role of r in this example.

8. Feb 24, 2017 #7
    Thank you for this example, it is clear now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted