Is Time Expanding Along with Space in the Expanding Universe?

In summary, at cosmological scale we observe that universe is expanding. This includes only the spatial coordinates of the spacetime. How do we know that time is not also expanding together with space? However, if we expand time as time evolves, this makes no sense. Time is different and expansion means that the distances defined by the spatial coordinates change with time.
lomidrevo
Hello all,
at the beginning, let me say that I haven't studied General relativity yet, I might have some knowledge at popsci level only... So I apologize if the question looks stupid...

At cosmological scale we observe that universe is expanding. If I understood well, this includes only the spatial coordinates of the spacetime.
How do we know that time is not expanding together with space?

Space news on Phys.org
lomidrevo said:
Hello all,
at the beginning, let me say that I haven't studied General relativity yet, I might have some knowledge at popsci level only... So I apologize if the question looks stupid...

At cosmological scale we observe that universe is expanding. If I understood well, this includes only the spatial coordinates of the spacetime.
How do we know that time is not expanding together with space?

How would you define the expansion of time?

When we say that the Universe is expanding, this is the translation of a very precise mathematical statement to English for a particular way of describing it. The corresponding statement for time would be meaningless.

thanks guys, I needed to think about it twice to understand that such question doesn't make sense indeed

initially, my thinking was as following:
we have 4 coordinates of spacetime: x,y,z,t. During expansion x,y,z coordinates are "stretched". I imagined that time coordinate can defined as ct, in order to be measured in the same units as x,y,z. So if the x,y,z are scaled by the expansion, why couldn't be ct?

Now I realized, that whatever I understand by expansion, it must be evolving with time. So expanding time as the time evolves, makes no sense indeed.

lomidrevo said:
So if the x,y,z are scaled by the expansion, why couldn't be ct?

Time is different. Expansion means that the distances defined by the spatial coordinates change with time. You can try to do the same with time, but differences in time changing with time can be removed by a simple change of coordinates.

To take a similar example in a more familiar geometry:

Consider a set of circles in the plane. As you go to larger and larger radius, the circles become larger and larger. In the same language, we would say that the circumference of the circle expands with radius. However, it would be unclear (and not well defined what you meant) if you stated that the radius expanded with the radius (yes, you go to larger values of r, but the distance between r and r+dr is dr by definition).

In the expanding universe, time plays the role of r in this example.

Likes stoomart and lomidrevo
Orodruin said:
To take a similar example in a more familiar geometry:

Consider a set of circles in the plane. As you go to larger and larger radius, the circles become larger and larger. In the same language, we would say that the circumference of the circle expands with radius. However, it would be unclear (and not well defined what you meant) if you stated that the radius expanded with the radius (yes, you go to larger values of r, but the distance between r and r+dr is dr by definition).

In the expanding universe, time plays the role of r in this example.

Thank you for this example, it is clear now :)

1. What is expanding space (and time)?

Expanding space (and time) refers to the concept that the universe is constantly expanding, meaning that the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies is increasing. This expansion also applies to time, as the rate at which time passes is affected by the expansion of space.

2. How do we know that space (and time) is expanding?

Scientists have observed the expansion of space through various methods, such as measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies and studying the cosmic microwave background radiation. These observations have provided strong evidence for the theory of expanding space (and time).

3. What is causing space (and time) to expand?

The exact cause of expanding space (and time) is still not fully understood. However, the leading explanation is that it is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 68% of the total energy in the universe.

4. Will space (and time) continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that space (and time) will continue to expand indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change in the future, depending on the amount of dark energy in the universe and other factors that are not yet fully understood.

5. How does the expansion of space (and time) affect our daily lives?

The expansion of space (and time) occurs on such a large scale that it does not have a noticeable impact on our daily lives. However, it plays a crucial role in the evolution of the universe and the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. It also affects the behavior of light and the passage of time in the universe.