1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of a local dissipation function

1. Jun 20, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm studying the finite strain theory and have come across the maximum dissipation principle. It implies a dissipation function defined as
    [itex]D=\tau:d-\dfrac{d\Psi}{dt}[/itex]​
    [itex] \tau[/itex] denotes the Kirchhoff stress tensor, [itex]d[/itex] the eulerian deformation rate and [itex] \Psi=\Psi(b_e,\xi)[/itex] the free energy, [itex]b_e[/itex] the left Cauchy-Green tensor, and [itex]\xi[/itex] an internal variable.
    I quiet understood the physic but there is a mathematical relation that I don't understand. Given the above definition, we claim in a book that
    [itex]D=\Big (\tau-2\dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial b_e}b_e \Big) : d + 2\dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial b_e}b_e : \Big ( -\dfrac{1}{2} L_v(b_e) b_e^{-1} \Big )-\dfrac{\partial \Psi }{\partial \xi} \dfrac{d\xi}{dt}[/itex]​
    where [itex]d[/itex] is the symmetric part of the spatial velocity gradient [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]L_v(b_e)[/itex] denotes the Lie derivative of [itex]b_e[/itex]. We can show that
    [itex]\dfrac{d}{dt}b_e=Lb_e+b_eL^t+L_v(b_e)[/itex]​
    thus the both expressions given to [itex]D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]\dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial b_e}:b_e L^t=\dfrac{\partial \Psi}{\partial b_e }:L^t b_e[/itex], but how can this last equality be true :confused: ?
    I can't tell why, if you do please share it :wink:

Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 16, 2014 #3
    Not yet I'm afraid. I have a book on line that states that, but I just can't figure it out yet !

5. Jul 16, 2014 #4
    I wasn't able to show that last equality either. But, are you sure that one of those L transposes is not an L? Just a thought.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook