Taylor expansion about lagrangian in noether

gionole
I was studying a derivation of noether's theorem mathematically and something struck my eyes.

Suppose you have ##L(q, \dot q, t)## and you transform it and get ##L' = L(\sigma(q, a), \frac{d}{dt}\sigma(q,a), t)##. ##\sigma## is a transformation function for ##q##

Let's represent ##L'## by taylor around point 0, which gives us:

##L(q, \dot q) + a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} + a^2\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial a^2}\Bigr|_{a=0} + ...##

Now, here is the tricky part: If lagrangians(before and after transformation) are differed by total time derivative of some function, we can say that:
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} = \frac{d}{dt}\Lambda##

Note that first order from taylor turned out to be enough, even though taylor only with first order is not the exact(100%) approximation of any ##L##. So it turns out that we use: ##a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} = a\frac{d}{dt}\Lambda## instead of ##a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} + a^2\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial a^2}\Bigr|_{a=0} + ... = \frac{d}{dt}\Lambda##

I am told that we can do this because ##a## is infinetisemal transformation, but still don't get why this works. I know I need to know lie theory to understand this, but isn't there really any other way to somehow grasp it without bunch of math ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need that ##L'## and ##L## should be equivalent Lagrangians, i.e., that there exists a function ##\Omega(q,t)## such that
$$L'[\sigma(q,a),\dot{\sigma}(q,a),t]=L(q,\dot{q},t]+\dot{\Omega}(q,t),$$
where the dots mean total derivatives (symmetry condition).

For an infinitesimal transformation, i.e., ##q'=q+\epsilon \sigma(q,t)## you can make the ansatz ##\Omega(q,t)=-\epsilon \tilde{\Omega}(q,t)## and expand the LHS of the symmetry condition to first order in ##\epsilon##, which then leads to a conservation law for the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations.

BTW: That's only the most simple special form of the transformations considered in Noether's theorem. You can extend it to more general transformations,
$$t'=t+\epsilon \Theta(q,\dot{q},t), \quad q'=q+\epsilon Q(q,\dot{q},t).$$
Then
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t'} L[q+\epsilon Q,\dot{q}+\epsilon \dot{Q},t+\epsilon \Theta(q,\dot{q},t)]=L(q,\dot{q},t) -\epsilon \dot{\tilde{\Omega}}(q,t).$$
Now again you can expand everything to 1st order in ##\epsilon## to get the symmetry condition, and then there follows again a conservation law for the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations.

1. What is a Taylor expansion about Lagrangian in Noether's theorem?

A Taylor expansion about Lagrangian in Noether's theorem is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function by evaluating its derivatives at a particular point. In the context of Noether's theorem, it is used to study the symmetries of a system described by a Lagrangian.

2. How is a Taylor expansion used in Noether's theorem?

In Noether's theorem, a Taylor expansion about the Lagrangian is used to analyze the variations of the Lagrangian under infinitesimal transformations. By expanding the Lagrangian in terms of these variations, one can derive the conserved quantities associated with the symmetries of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a Taylor expansion in Noether's theorem?

Using a Taylor expansion in Noether's theorem allows for a systematic way to analyze the symmetries of a system described by a Lagrangian. It provides a clear framework for understanding how these symmetries lead to conserved quantities, such as energy or momentum.

4. Can a Taylor expansion about Lagrangian be applied to any system in physics?

While a Taylor expansion about Lagrangian is a powerful tool in Noether's theorem, it may not be applicable to every system in physics. The feasibility of using this technique depends on the specific form of the Lagrangian and the symmetries of the system being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor expansion about Lagrangian in Noether's theorem?

One limitation of using a Taylor expansion about Lagrangian in Noether's theorem is that it may only provide an approximation of the true behavior of the system. Additionally, the complexity of the calculations involved in the expansion may make it challenging to apply in certain situations.