Expansion of series and possible induction

In summary: The other way around may also work but maybe not as nicely.In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite series and equations involving it. The first part of the problem is solved, but the second part requires using induction. The goal is to show that for n > 1, one can write the relations as (A+1)^n - A^n, where A^n converges to A_n. The base case is n = 2, but there is confusion about how to approach it. The suggested method is to use induction to establish that \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n}{k} A_k = 0, since (A+1)^n - A^n = \sum
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the infinite series $$\frac{x}{e^x - 1} = A_o + A_1 x + \frac{A_2}{2!}x^2 + ... + \frac{A_n}{n!}x^n + ...$$ Determine that ##1 = A_o,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/2! + A_1,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/3! + A_1/2! + A_2/2!##.
Show that for ##n > 1##, one can write the relations as $$(A+1)^n - A^n,$$ where ##A^n \rightarrow A_n##.

2. Homework Equations

Taylor expansions and induction

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is fine. I thought about using induction on the second part since ##n## is confined to an integer. I understand ##A^n \rightarrow A_n## as meaning the powers of the series converge to the actual terms in the series, which is why I thought ##n## was an integer, labeling the terms in the series. However, I can't seem to make sense of the base case (n=2). It is $$(A+1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1$$ What is ##A##?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone any comments or help? thanks.

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the infinite series $$\frac{x}{e^x - 1} = A_o + A_1 x + \frac{A_2}{2!}x^2 + ... + \frac{A_n}{n!}x^n + ...$$ Determine that ##1 = A_o,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/2! + A_1,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/3! + A_1/2! + A_2/2!##.
Show that for ##n > 1##, one can write the relations as $$(A+1)^n - A^n,$$ where ##A^n \rightarrow A_n##.

2. Homework Equations

Taylor expansions and induction

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is fine. I thought about using induction on the second part since ##n## is confined to an integer. I understand ##A^n \rightarrow A_n## as meaning the powers of the series converge to the actual terms in the series, which is why I thought ##n## was an integer, labeling the terms in the series. However, I can't seem to make sense of the base case (n=2). It is $$(A+1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1$$ What is ##A##?

thanks

What this is saying (I think) is that you can expand the left hand side of [itex](A + 1)^n - A^n = 0[/itex], and if you then replace [itex]A^k[/itex] with [itex]A_k[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq k < n[/itex], you can find [itex]A_{n-1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]A_0, \dots, A_{n-2}[/itex].

Thus: [itex](A + 1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1[/itex] and indeed [itex]2A_1 + A_0 = 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
What this is saying (I think) is that you can expand the left hand side of [itex](A + 1)^n - A^n = 0[/itex], and if you then replace [itex]A^k[/itex] with [itex]A_k[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq k < n[/itex], you can find [itex]A_{n-1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]A_0, \dots, A_{n-2}[/itex].
I see, is there a reason why you neglected the case where ##k=n##?
Thus: [itex](A + 1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1[/itex] and indeed [itex]2A_1 + A_0 = 0[/itex].
I nearly see what you did there except how did you get that ##A=A_1##? Is this just a notation ##A = A^1 = A_1##?

Would you say induction is the way to go? I can try further given I now understand what the base case means, thanks.

CAF123 said:
I see, is there a reason why you neglected the case where ##k=n##?

The [itex]A^n[/itex] terms cancel.

I nearly see what you did there except how did you get that ##A=A_1##? Is this just a notation ##A = A^1 = A_1##?

[itex]x^1 = x[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex].

Would you say induction is the way to go?

It is the obvious method.

CAF123 said:
It's not that ##A^1 = A_1##, but that it represents it in the analogy between the two sets of equations.

I tried the induction argument, but seemed to run into a mistake. Assume ##P(n) = (A + 1)^n - A^n = 0 ## is true for ##n##. Then $$(A+1)^{n+1} - A^{n+1} = (A+1)^n (A+1) - A^n A $$$$= ((A+1)^n - A^n)A + (A+1)^n = A^n \neq 0$$ The ##A^n## are just numbers so I am not sure where the mistake is.

I think you want to be using induction to establish that [tex]
\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n}{k} A_k = 0
[/tex] since [tex]
(A+ 1)^n - A^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n}{k} A^k.
[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of expanding a series?

The expansion of a series allows us to represent a mathematical function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. This can make it easier to evaluate or manipulate the function.

2. What is the difference between finite and infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an endless number of terms. In other words, a finite series has a definite sum, while an infinite series may or may not have a sum.

3. What is the process of induction in relation to series?

Induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all values of a variable. In the context of series, induction can be used to show that a certain property or formula holds for every term in the series.

4. Can all functions be represented as a series?

No, not all functions can be represented as a series. A function must have a unique value for each input in order for it to be represented as a series. Functions that do not meet this criteria, such as piecewise functions, cannot be represented as a series.

5. How can we determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A series is divergent if the sum of its terms approaches infinity as the number of terms increases. There are various tests, such as the ratio test or the integral test, that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.