1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of series and possible induction

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the infinite series $$\frac{x}{e^x - 1} = A_o + A_1 x + \frac{A_2}{2!}x^2 + ... + \frac{A_n}{n!}x^n + ...$$ Determine that ##1 = A_o,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/2! + A_1,\,\,\,\,\,0 = A_o/3! + A_1/2! + A_2/2!##.
    Show that for ##n > 1##, one can write the relations as $$(A+1)^n - A^n,$$ where ##A^n \rightarrow A_n##.

2. Relevant equations

Taylor expansions and induction

3. The attempt at a solution
    First part is fine. I thought about using induction on the second part since ##n## is confined to an integer. I understand ##A^n \rightarrow A_n## as meaning the powers of the series converge to the actual terms in the series, which is why I thought ##n## was an integer, labeling the terms in the series. However, I can't seem to make sense of the base case (n=2). It is $$(A+1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1$$ What is ##A##?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Anyone any comments or help? thanks.

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

What this is saying (I think) is that you can expand the left hand side of [itex](A + 1)^n - A^n = 0[/itex], and if you then replace [itex]A^k[/itex] with [itex]A_k[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq k < n[/itex], you can find [itex]A_{n-1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]A_0, \dots, A_{n-2}[/itex].

Thus: [itex](A + 1)^2 - A^2 = 2A + 1[/itex] and indeed [itex]2A_1 + A_0 = 0[/itex].

5. Sep 23, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

I see, is there a reason why you neglected the case where ##k=n##?
    I nearly see what you did there except how did you get that ##A=A_1##? Is this just a notation ##A = A^1 = A_1##?

Would you say induction is the way to go? I can try further given I now understand what the base case means, thanks.

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

The [itex]A^n[/itex] terms cancel.

[itex]x^1 = x[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex].

It is the obvious method.

7. Sep 23, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not that ##A^1 = A_1##, but that it represents it in the analogy between the two sets of equations.

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

I tried the induction argument, but seemed to run into a mistake. Assume ##P(n) = (A + 1)^n - A^n = 0 ## is true for ##n##. Then $$(A+1)^{n+1} - A^{n+1} = (A+1)^n (A+1) - A^n A $$$$= ((A+1)^n - A^n)A + (A+1)^n = A^n \neq 0$$ The ##A^n## are just numbers so I am not sure where the mistake is.

9. Sep 24, 2014 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think you want to be using induction to establish that [tex]
    \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n}{k} A_k = 0
    [/tex] since [tex]
    (A+ 1)^n - A^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n}{k} A^k.
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted