Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation formula in Dirac notation.

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    Expectation value of operator A is given by following formula in Dirac notation.

<A> = <x|A|x>

where
    A : Operator
    <A> : Expectation value of A
    |x> : State

Somehow I am unable to convince myself that this formula is true.
    Would someone please explain it to me?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    [tex]\langle \hat{A} \rangle = \langle x|\hat{A}|x \rangle = \int \psi_{x}^{"*"} \hat{A} \psi_{x} \,d \tau[/tex]

This is the expectation value postulate of quantum mechanics.

If the wavefunction [tex]\psi_{x}[/tex] is not an eigenfunction of the operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] then the measured value of the observable [tex]A[/tex] is variable. When [tex]\psi_{x}[/tex] is normalized such that
    [tex]\int \psi_{x}^{"*"}\psi_{x} \,d \tau=1[/tex]
    the expectation value above yeilds the average measurement of all possible measurements of [tex]A[/tex]. (Note that [tex]d \tau[/tex] indicates an integration over all space.) This works because, since [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is an Hermitian operator, its eigenvectors form an orthonormal basis. It follows that any function can be written as an infinite linear combination of eigenfunctions of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex].

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook