Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation of terms in double summation

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    Does any body help me how to find the average (expectation) of terms involving double summation? Here is the equation which I'm trying solve.

[\tex]E\Big[2\sum_{k=0}^{N-2}\sum_{j=k+1}^{N-1}f(k,j)\cos[2\pi(j-k)t-\theta_{k,j}]\Big][\tex]
    where f(k,j) and [\tex]\theta_{k,j}[\tex] are some function of k and j.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2
    [ latex ] expresion [ /latex ]

4. May 10, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you wanting to take the time-average? Have you been given the equation for doing that -- it involves doing an integral with respect to time...

5. May 10, 2010 #4
    Yes I want to take the time average of the said expression. Its not part of any assignment. I came accross this equation while deriving PAPR for the QAM OFDM signal. It does not involve any integral.

6. May 10, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cosine terms all have a time-average of 0, except when j=k. As long as the f's and θ's are time-independent, this simplifies things greatly.

When j=k, the time-average of cos[2π(j-k)t - θk,j]=cos(θk,j). However, it appears that j is never equal to k in this summation, so we are left with 0 for the average.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  7. May 10, 2010 #6
    Dear Sir
    Thanks a lot for your prompt response. After your comment now I've got the confirmation of my answer. Thanks a lot once again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook