Expectation Of The Maximum When One Of The Random Variables Is Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expected time to discovery of failure for a device that measures seismic activity in a remote region. The solution involves using the exponential distribution with a mean of 3 years and the procedure includes calculating two integrals over different intervals. The conversation also mentions using order statistics and finding the density function of X, which is a constant random variable. There is also a discrepancy in the final solution, with one person suggesting it should be E[X] = 2 [1-Exp[-2/3]] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ] while another suggests it should be E[X] = 2 [1-Exp[-1/3 t]] + Integral From 2 To Infinity
actcs
Good Evening:

I'm given this problem:

A device that continuously measures and records seismic activity is placed in a remote
region. The time, T, to failure of this device is exponentially distributed with mean
3 years. Since the device will not be monitored during its first two years of service, the
time to discovery of its failure is X = max(T, 2) .
Determine E[X].

Solution: 2 + 3 Exp[-2/3]

I've even got the procedure

It's:

E[X] = Integral From 0 To 2 [ 2*f(t)dt ] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ]

Where f(t)=1/3 Exp[-1/3 t]

I Just want to know, why is this?... Why the interval of the first integral is from 0 To 2, and then again that "2" appears in the integral?... I tried to calculate by means of order statistics but result didn't match

Does someone know how to prove this is actually the solution?... (I'm certain this is the correct solution, but I just want a more specific and justified procedure. I'm not familiarized with constant random variables)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
actcs said:
I Just want to know, why is this?... Why the interval of the first integral is from 0 To 2, and then again that "2" appears in the integral?... I tried to calculate by means of order statistics but result didn't match

Good morning, actcs! :smile:

Because E[X] = ∫ X(t) f(t) dt.

So when X(t) is a constant, K, over an interval, the integral over that interval is ∫ K f(t) dt …

and in this case K = 2. :wink:

(and ∫ f(t) dt, without the K, would just be the probability, not the expectation)

Hello, Thank you for replying

The problem in this case is that the constant random variable is involved in an order statistic, so it is not so trivial to see the sample space of each of the random variables

I did this: Write the random variable X as:

X = 2 I(0,2](T) + T I(2,Infinity)(T)

Where I(a,b)(T) is an indicator function for the random variable T

The way I see this was:

If device fails between now and the end second year, discovery time will be "End of year 2", whereas if device fails after that, discovery time will match fail time, ie, X=T

I think it was rather complicated to obtain the density funcion of X and then calculate the expectation

Best Regards

actcs said:
I've even got the procedure

It's:

E[X] = Integral From 0 To 2 [ 2*f(t)dt ] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ]

Where f(t)=1/3 Exp[-1/3 t]

Does someone know how to prove this is actually the solution?... (I'm certain this is the correct solution, but I just want a more specific and justified procedure. I'm not familiarized with constant random variables)

Thanks in advance

I don't think that is the correct solution since:

Integral from 0 to 2 of Exp[-1/3 t]= -Exp[-1/3 t]-(1)=1-Exp[-1/3 t]

Therefore your solution should be:

E[X] = 2 [1-Exp[-1/3 t]] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ]

John Creighto said:
I don't think that is the correct solution since:

Integral from 0 to 2 of Exp[-1/3 t]= -Exp[-1/3 t]-(1)=1-Exp[-1/3 t]

Therefore your solution should be:

E[X] = 2 [1-Exp[-1/3 t]] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ]

I said that solution was

Which is almost the same as you posted

It should be:

E[X] = 2 [1-Exp[-2/3]] + Integral From 2 To Infinity [ t*f(t)dt ]

Best Regards

What is the "Expectation of the Maximum" when one of the random variables is constant?

The "Expectation of the Maximum" refers to the average or expected value of the highest value among a set of random variables. When one of the random variables is constant, it means that this particular variable always takes on the same value regardless of the other variables.

How is the "Expectation of the Maximum" calculated?

The "Expectation of the Maximum" can be calculated using a formula that takes into account the distribution of the random variables. For example, if the random variables follow a normal distribution, the formula would involve the mean and standard deviation of the distribution.

What does the "Expectation of the Maximum" tell us about the set of random variables?

The "Expectation of the Maximum" provides insight into the overall distribution of the set of random variables. It can tell us the average or expected value of the highest value among the variables, which can be useful in understanding the range and variability of the variables.

How does having one constant random variable affect the "Expectation of the Maximum"?

When one of the random variables is constant, it means that this variable does not contribute to the variability of the maximum value. This can result in a lower "Expectation of the Maximum" compared to if all the variables were varying.

How can the "Expectation of the Maximum" be used in practical applications?

The "Expectation of the Maximum" can be used in various fields, such as finance and engineering, to understand the potential maximum outcomes and risks associated with a set of variables. It can also be used in simulations and modeling to predict the maximum value in a given scenario.