Expectation Value for Gaussian Wave Packet.

In summary, the student is struggling with solving an integral and is looking for help. The student is still able to follow the basic technique for solving integrals, but is looking for a better way to find the other expectation values.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Calculate <x> for the Gaussian wave packet [itex]\psi(x)=Ne-(x-x0)/2k2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int dx x|\psi(x)|2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been reviewing for the up-coming midterm and I've had the painful realization that I'm basically killing myself with basic issues; in this case solving the integral.

[itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int dx x|\psi(x)|2
= \int dx x|Ne-(x-x0)/2k2|2
=N2\int dx x|e-(x-x0)/2k2|2[/itex]

It's at this point that I know there a u substitution to be made (at least I'm pretty sure that's the best way to solve the integral), but I'm not exactly sure for which value? Is there a better way to solve this integral?

Thanks for any pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]u=x-x_o[/itex].

That should give you two terms that both proportional to standard Gaussian integrals. Consider the symmetry of the integrand and the solution shouldn't be hard to come by.

Ah, ok. Since the other expectation values are next on the block, and I can screw up any given integral is the following mathematically "legal"?

[itex]=N2\intdxx|e-(x-x0)/2k2|2[/itex]
[itex]=N2\intdux|e-u/2k2|\intdu|e-u/2k2|[/itex]
[itex]=N2x\intdu|e-u/2k2|\intdu|e-u/2k2|[/itex]

Am I way off or does this come out to be <x>=x0?

atomicpedals said:
Am I way off or does this come out to be <x>=x0?

That's the answer.

Your Latex is not formatted correctly, so just to make sure that we are on the same page, this is the type of integral we are considering:

[tex]<x^n>=\int dx x^n e^{\frac{-2(x-x_o)^2}{2k^2}}[/tex]

Correct? Quote my post to see how I coded the above equation.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one! (sorry about that, Latex and I have a sordid history of being hit or miss)

Oops, I actually forgot a square in the numerator. Check that integral again and make sure it's still right.

There should also be a negative sign, using numerical syntax:

int(x^n*exp[(-(x-x0)^2)/(k^2))]dx).

atomicpedals said:
There should also be a negative sign, using numerical syntax:

int(x^n*exp[(-(x-x0)^2)/(k^2))]dx).

Ooops. Yes, of course! Typo#2 corrected.

Now, do you still need advice on finding the other expectation values?

The basic technique is still the same correct? <x^2>=<psi|x^2|psi> or <p>=<psi|p|psi>

atomicpedals said:
The basic technique is still the same correct? <x^2>=<psi|x^2|psi> or <p>=<psi|p|psi>

Yes, the basic idea is the same. Try them out. If you get stuck, feel free to come back and ask for some advice.

1. What is the expectation value for a Gaussian wave packet?

The expectation value for a Gaussian wave packet is the average position of the particle described by the wave packet. It is calculated by taking the integral of the position operator multiplied by the wave function squared over all space.

2. How is the expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value and the uncertainty principle are related in that the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum must be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant divided by 2. This means that the more certain we are about the position of a particle, the less certain we can be about its momentum and vice versa.

3. Can the expectation value change over time?

Yes, the expectation value can change over time as the wave packet evolves. This is because the wave function, and therefore the probability distribution of the particle, changes over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

4. How does the width of the Gaussian wave packet affect the expectation value?

The width of the Gaussian wave packet does not affect the expectation value. The expectation value is solely determined by the shape and position of the wave packet, not its width.

5. Can the expectation value be negative?

No, the expectation value cannot be negative as it represents the average position of the particle. Negative positions do not have physical meaning in this context. However, the expectation value can be a complex number if the wave function has an imaginary component.