1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation values for a harmonic oscillator

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find <x>, <x2>, <p>, and <p2> for a particle in the first state of a harmonic oscillator.

2. Relevant equations
    The harmonic oscillator in the first state is described by [tex]\psi[/tex](x)=A[tex]\alpha[/tex]1/2*x*e-[tex]\alpha[/tex]*x2/2. I'm using the definition <Q>=([tex]\int[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]1*Q*[tex]\psi[/tex])dx where [tex]\psi[/tex]1 is the complex conjugate of [tex]\psi[/tex], and Q is the specific operator.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for <x>, and found it was zero. <p> I'll solve for in a similar fashion. However, for <x2> and <p2>, I am unsure of what operators I use. For the <x> operator, it is simply x, so for <x2>, would I use x2 as an operator?
    (note that I the only superscripts here are the ones above e, I don't know why latex is putting all of my symbols so high

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's what you should use.

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Put the whole equation in the tex barackets instead of individual symbols)

The operator for <x²> is simply multiplication by x², so <x²> = ∫ψ*(x)x²ψ(x)dx, and <p²> is

[tex] -\int \psi^{*}(x) \hbar^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x) dx [/tex]

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    ok, thank you so much guys. It's a good thing I have physics forum to at least make my new ventures into the realm of quantum mechanics a bit easier :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook