Expectation values for an harmonic oscillator

But ## \langle a \rangle \langle a_{\dagger} \rangle = \alpha \alpha^* = \vert \alpha\vert ^2## also. So ##\langle aa_{\dagger} \rangle = \langle a \rangle \langle a_{\dagger} \rangle = \vert \alpha\vert ^2##.So what are these operators telling us?In summary, the state \lvert \alpha \rangle is a canonical coherent state that uses the harmonic oscillator ground state as its fiducial vector. It encodes the expectation values of position and momentum in the real and imaginary parts of \alpha, and there is a
carllacan

Homework Statement

Find the expectation values of x and p for the state
[itex]\vert \alpha \rangle = e^{-\frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha\vert^2}exp(\alpha a^{\dagger})\vert 0 \rangle[/itex], where ##a## is the destruction operator.

Homework Equations

Destruction and creation operators
##a=Ax+Bp##
##a^{\dagger}=Ax-Bp##
For some constants A (real) and B (imaginary) whose value is not important now.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found a solution, but it is so simple it looks dumb. State the expectation value:
##\langle x \rangle = \langle 0 \vert e^{- \frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha \vert ^2} e^{\alpha^*a}\hat{x}e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}e^{- \frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha \vert ^2} \vert 0\rangle = ##

Now if we descompose the first exponential ##e^{\alpha^*a}## there will be an annihilation operator acting on the ground state, which is equal to 0 and therefore ANY expectation value for this state is zero...

That seems wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
##a## is never acting directly on a ground state ket. How do the creation and annihilation operators act on bra states?

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
##a## is never acting directly on a ground state ket. How do the creation and annihilation operators act on bra states?

I was not sure of this, but I still don't see the mistake. Look at what the expression for the expectation value I wrote. There is an exponential of the annihilation operator next to the ground state; if we decompose it... oh, wait.
Okay, I just realized that the first term of the series would not contain an ## a ## operator, so is doesn't destroy it.

New try:

From the definition for ##a## I've found ##x=\frac{a+a^{\dagger}}{2A}## and ##p=\frac{a-a^{\dagger}}{2B}##, and then its easy to find:

##\langle x \rangle = \langle 0 \vert e^{- \frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha \vert ^2} e^{\alpha^*a}\hat{x}e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}e^{- \frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha \vert ^2} \vert 0\rangle = \frac{1}{2A} \langle 0 \vert e^{ -\frac{1}{2}\vert\alpha \vert ^2} e^{\alpha^*a}(a + a^{\dagger})e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}\vert \alpha \vert ^2} \vert 0\rangle ##

Now this reduces to ##\langle x \rangle = \frac{1}{2A} \left ( \langle a \rangle + \langle a^{\dagger} \rangle \right )## and, operating similarly for the momentum operator ##\langle p \rangle = \frac{1}{2B} \left ( \langle a \rangle - \langle a^{\dagger} \rangle \right )##.

Now, I think ##\langle a \rangle = \langle a^{\dagger} \rangle ##, is that right?

Neither operator in ##\hat x## act directly on the vacuum. They must first be commuted through the exponential expressions that contain operators.

By definition, we must have
$$
\langle a\rangle = \langle a^\dagger\rangle^*
$$

Likes 1 person
Yes it seems right at first look. So ##<p>=0##. What about ##<a>##?

[edit: oops yes ##<>^*##]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I know from a previous exercise that these states are eigenkets of ##a## with eigenvalue ##\alpha##, so ##\langle a \rangle = \alpha ## and ##\langle x \rangle = \frac{\alpha}{A}##?

Is ##\alpha## necessarily real?

Orodruin said:
Is ##\alpha## necessarily real?

No. Why?

If ##\alpha## is not real, is p zero?

Orodruin said:
If ##\alpha## is not real, is p zero?

Oh, thank you. The actual solutions are
##\langle \hat{x} \rangle = \frac{Re(\alpha)}{A}##
##\langle \hat{p} \rangle = \frac{Im(\alpha)}{B}##
The momentum EV is actually real, because B is pure imaginary.

Hi Carllacan - not sure if you figured this out or not - but anyway here's the cleanest way I can think of to do it:

[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
\langle X \rangle &=& e^{-\vert \alpha \vert^2} \frac{1}{2A} \langle 0 \lvert e^{\alpha^*a}(a + a^{\dagger}) e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}} \lvert 0\rangle\\

&=& \frac{1}{2A} e^{-\vert \alpha \vert^2} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha^*}\right) \langle 0 \lvert e^{\alpha^*a} e^{\alpha a^{\dagger}} \lvert 0\rangle\\

&=& \frac{1}{2A} e^{-\vert \alpha \vert^2} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha^*}\right) e^{\alpha^* \alpha}\\

&=& \frac{1}{2A} e^{-\vert \alpha \vert^2} \left( \alpha + \alpha^* \right) e^{\alpha^* \alpha}\\

&=& \frac{\alpha + \alpha^*}{2A}\\

&=& \frac{{\rm Re} \; \alpha}{A}

\end{eqnarray}

[/tex]
I'll let you do [itex]\langle P \rangle[/itex] for yourself :smile:

Here's a couple of "for what it's worth" comments:

Expectation values for an harmonic oscillator

The state [itex]\lvert \alpha \rangle[/itex] is called a "canonical coherent state" and uses the harmonic oscillator ground state as what's called its "fiducial vector". However note that there need not be a harmonic oscillator present - our particle could be in absolutely any potential.

The state [itex]\lvert \alpha \rangle[/itex] has (the expectation values of) its position and momentum coded into the real and imaginary parts of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. So we could rewrite it as simply [itex]\lvert p,q \rangle[/itex]. Thus there's a nice one-to-one map from classical phase space onto canonical coherent states in the Hilbert space - it's as good as a map as the uncertainty principle allows.

Oxvillian said:
Here's a couple of "for what it's worth" comments:

The state [itex]\lvert \alpha \rangle[/itex] is called a "canonical coherent state" and uses the harmonic oscillator ground state as what's called its "fiducial vector". However note that there need not be a harmonic oscillator present - our particle could be in absolutely any potential.

The state [itex]\lvert \alpha \rangle[/itex] has (the expectation values of) its position and momentum coded into the real and imaginary parts of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. So we could rewrite it as simply [itex]\lvert p,q \rangle[/itex]. Thus there's a nice one-to-one map from classical phase space onto canonical coherent states in the Hilbert space - it's as good as a map as the uncertainty principle allows.

Thank you, I was wondering what was the point of having us work with these specific states.

Would you guys mind checking this?
We know ##a\vert \alpha\rangle = \alpha \vert \alpha \rangle ##, so
##\langle a \rangle = \alpha##,
##\langle a^{\dagger} \rangle = \langle a \rangle ^* = \alpha^*##,
##\langle a^2 \rangle = \langle \alpha \vert a^2 \vert \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \vert \alpha^*\alpha \vert \alpha \rangle = \alpha ^* \alpha = \vert \alpha\vert ^2##,
##\langle a_{\dagger}^2 \rangle = \langle a^2 \rangle ^* = \vert \alpha\vert ^2##,
##\langle a a_{\dagger} \rangle = \langle \alpha \vert a a_{\dagger} \vert\alpha \rangle = \alpha \langle \alpha \vert a_{\dagger} \vert\alpha \rangle = \vert \alpha\vert ^2##

Well the notation [itex]\langle a\rangle[/itex] looks a bit weird to me, because it suggests you're finding the expectation value of some observable - but [itex]a[/itex] isn't an observable. I guess it's ok though.

I would say that:

(I'm changing [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\lambda[/itex] because with my eyesight I can't tell the difference between an [itex]\alpha[/itex] and an [itex]a[/itex] on the screen :frown:)

[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
\langle \lambda \lvert a \lvert \lambda \rangle &=& \lambda\\
\langle \lambda \lvert a^{\dagger} \lvert \lambda \rangle &=& \lambda^*\\
\langle \lambda \lvert a^2 \lvert \lambda \rangle &=& \lambda^2\\
\langle \lambda \lvert (a^{\dagger})^2 \lvert \lambda \rangle &=& (\lambda^*)^2\\
\langle \lambda \lvert a^{\dagger}a \lvert \lambda \rangle &=& \lambda^*\lambda\\
\end{eqnarray}[/tex]
So I disagree with you about some of them at least.

I agree with Oxvillian's results. I would however not write the coherent state as ##|p,q\rangle## without some additional hint to it being a coherent state. Otherwise there is a risk of interpreting it as an eigenstate of the position and momentum operators (there are no simultaneous eigenstates, but anyway...)

Orodruin said:
I agree with Oxvillian's results. I would however not write the coherent state as ##|p,q\rangle## without some additional hint to it being a coherent state. Otherwise there is a risk of interpreting it as an eigenstate of the position and momentum operators (there are no simultaneous eigenstates, but anyway...)

Indeed, [itex]\lvert p,q \rangle[/itex] looks like a total violation of page 1 of the quantum mechanics rulebook :smile:

You just have to remember that the labels [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] are just parameters, not eigenvalues.

Anyway when you get past the notation, there's a lot to be said for working in the [itex]\lvert p,q \rangle[/itex] basis instead of using [itex]\vert p \rangle[/itex] and/or [itex]\vert q \rangle[/itex]. The coherent states are nice and smooth rather than delta-function spikey. They lead, for instance, to much nicer path integrals.

About the third one: doesn't ##a\vert \lambda \rangle = \lambda \vert \lambda \rangle ## imply ## \langle \lambda\vert a^{\dagger} = \langle \lambda \vert \lambda^* ##?

And therefore the result is ##\lambda ^* \lambda = \vert \lambda \vert ^2##

That would be the 5th one.

The 3rd one is
[tex]\langle \lambda \lvert aa \lvert \lambda \rangle = \lambda \langle \lambda \lvert a \lvert \lambda \rangle = \lambda^2 \langle \lambda \lvert \lambda \rangle = \lambda^2[/tex]

1. What is an expectation value for a harmonic oscillator?

An expectation value for a harmonic oscillator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to determine the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or energy, for a given state of a harmonic oscillator. It is calculated by taking the integral of the quantity multiplied by the probability density function for that state.

2. How is the expectation value for a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The expectation value for a harmonic oscillator is calculated using the formula ψ = ψ(x) * x^2 * ω(x) dx, where ψ(x) is the wave function for the state, x is the position operator, and ω(x) is the probability density function for the state.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value for a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value for a harmonic oscillator provides a measure of the average value of a physical quantity for a given state. This can be useful in predicting the behavior of a harmonic oscillator in various situations and can also help in understanding the quantum mechanical properties of the system.

4. How does the expectation value change for different states of a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value for a harmonic oscillator can vary for different states, depending on the wave function and probability density function for that state. For example, the expectation value for energy will be different for a ground state compared to an excited state of the harmonic oscillator.

5. Can the expectation value for a harmonic oscillator be measured?

Yes, the expectation value for a harmonic oscillator can be measured experimentally. This can be done by performing repeated measurements of the physical quantity in question on a large number of identically prepared harmonic oscillators in the same state, and then taking the average of these measurements.