Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation values of unbounded operator

1. May 19, 2014 #1
    I am reading an intriguing article on rigged Hilbert space
    http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0502053

On page 8, the author describes the need for rigged Hilbert space. For that, he considers an unbounded operator [itex]A[/itex], corresponding to some observable in space of square integrable functions [itex]\mathcal{H} [/itex], with the domain [itex]\mathcal{D}(A) [/itex]. The author states that in general, [itex] \mathcal{D}(A)[/itex] does not remain invariant under the action of [itex]A[/itex].

Now the author claims that such non-invariance makes expectation values ill-defined on the whole Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex].

I am not able to understand the claim.

Let us consider [itex]\phi\in\mathcal{D}(A) [/itex]. Due to invariance, [itex]\psi=A\phi[/itex] may not belong to [itex]\mathcal{D}(A) [/itex], but it remains in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]. Thus the expectation value [itex](\phi,A\phi)=(\phi,\psi)[/itex] should be well defined (or am I doing something wrong?).

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You are right. I suppose he means expectation values of ##A^2## as appearing in the next equation.

4. May 19, 2014 #3
    Thank you for clearing that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook