Expected value of 3 cards dealt

In summary, the expected value of your opponent's hand when dealt three cards from a regular deck can be calculated by taking the average value of one card (85/13) and multiplying it by 3. This applies regardless of the dependence between the cards. To calculate the expected value for four cards, you can use the formula E(X+Y)=E(X)+E(Y).
froggy21
If each card on a regular deck has points that corresponds to their number (like 2 of hearts is 2 points, 7 of clubs is 7 points), the Jack, Queen, King each being 10 points...what's the expected value of your opponent's hand if you deal them 3 cards?

I know the empirical expected value...but I'd like to know -how- to get the theoretical expected value, please : )

Help please D: I've been stewing over this question for days now. The only way I can think of doing this is by doing a tree diagram to get each probability but that'll have like 1000 end branches -headdesk-

Physics news on Phys.org
What's an ace worth? 1, 10, 11, 13?

The expected value wouldn't be too far off from three times the expected value of one card.

I'll assume the ace is valued at something other than 10.

So there are 52 * 51 * 50 ways to choose three cards from a deck. Of those, the breakdown is

216 ways to draw 3 of the same non-10
10368 ways to draw 2 of the same and one different, none 10
32256 ways to draw 3 different non-10s
5184 ways to draw a 10 and 2 of the same non-10s
55296 ways to draw a 10 and 2 different non-10s
25920 ways to draw 2 10s and a non-10
3360 ways to draw 3 10s

So calculate the average value for each, multiply, add, and divide.

Ah, yes, Ace is worth 1 points : )

Uhm, sorry, would you happen to know the breakdown for 4 cards? I misread the question and apparently it's the expected value of 4 cards dealt. I tried doing the breakdown myself but I always seem a few hundred thousand short of the total ways.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Note that E(X+Y)=E(X)+E(Y) holds regardless of the dependence between X and Y - so you won't need to work out all 13^4 combinations.

To expand on bpet's remark, the expected value of one card is 85/13, assuming an ace is 1 and Jack, Queen, King are 10 each. Let's say the value of the ith card is [tex]X_i[/tex]. Then the expected value of 3 cards is

[tex]E(X_1 + X_2 + X_3) = E(X_1) + E(X_2) + E(X_3) = 3 \times 85/13[/tex].

That's all it takes.

What is the expected value of 3 cards dealt?

The expected value of 3 cards dealt refers to the average value that a player can expect to receive when drawing 3 cards from a deck. It takes into account the probability of drawing each card and its corresponding value.

How is the expected value calculated for 3 cards dealt?

The expected value for 3 cards dealt is calculated by multiplying the probability of drawing each card by its value and then summing up these values. This gives an overall average value for the 3 cards based on the likelihood of each card being drawn.

Why is the expected value important in card games?

The expected value is important in card games because it helps players make informed decisions about whether to continue playing or fold. By knowing the expected value, players can assess the potential risks and rewards of a particular hand and make strategic decisions accordingly.

Can the expected value change during a game?

Yes, the expected value can change during a game as cards are drawn and the deck composition changes. As a result, the probability of drawing certain cards may increase or decrease, altering the expected value for the remaining cards in the deck.

How can the expected value be used to improve gameplay?

The expected value can be used to improve gameplay by helping players make more calculated decisions based on the potential value of their hand. It can also be used to identify potentially profitable situations and to manage bankroll by avoiding high risk, low expected value bets.