Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple probability question - Cards

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    You have a deck of cards.

I deal out one card each to 3 people. Is it more likely or less likely that AT LEAST one of the people will be dealt a heart?

I require clarification on this, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi arron77! welcome to pf! :wink:
    in other words: you deal 3 cards: what is the likelihood that at least one will be a heart?

show us how far you've got, and then we'll comment :smile:

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    well I'm not going into detail this was more to settle a point

player 1 has a 1/4 chance to get a heart, as do the other two players

so combined to me they have a 3/4 chance to get a heart. Thus I should not bet on this game as I would most likely lose

5. Feb 4, 2012 #4
    If you're new to probability you have to learn to think in an odd way. It is ridiculous to calculate the prob that at least one gets a heart. Try instead the probability that no one gets a heart. You just need to deal from the other 39 cards. Then the prob that at least one gets a heart is 1 minus the prob that nobody gets a heart.

6. Feb 4, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, that reasoning has to be wrong :redface:

if you dealt 1 card to 4 people, would the probability of at least one heart be 4/4 ? :wink:

7. Feb 4, 2012 #6
    Yes that reasoning is wrong. But the quick answer is that if you deal 1 card each to 3 people then the probability of at least one heart is about 0.59.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook