Expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 3K views
graviton_10
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Find the variance of the energy in coherent state |ɑ>.
Relevant Equations
<ΔH> = <ɑ| HH |ɑ>
I am trying to find the expected value of the variance of energy in coherent states. But since the lowering and raising operators are non-hermitian and non-commutative, I am not sure if I am doing it right. I'm pretty sure my <H>2 calculation is right, but I'm not sure about <H2> calculation.

Here is my solution:
 
Attachments
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1677335473758.png


Check the step circled in orange. ##a^\dagger## and ##a## don't commute.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Terrakron
graviton_10 said:
Yes, but how to do it the right way?
Please post the steps for how you reduced ##\langle \alpha | (a^{\dagger} a)^2|\alpha \rangle## to ##|\alpha^*\alpha|^2 \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle##. That way, we can help you see where you made a mistake.
 
So, I used the fact that the commutator of a and a dagger is 1. Does it look good now?
 
Attachments
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 144