Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experimental Derivation of the Drag Force

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    I am trying to experimentally derive the drag equation. I have dropped coffee filters with varying masses and determined their resulting terminal velocity. I plotted the data and found that the mass of the coffee filter is proportional to the terminal velocity squared. I was now wondering how I can use this to derive the drag equation, which states: F_D = .5CpAv2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

At terminal velocity the known constant gravitational force is equal to the unknown drag force; equate them and do a bit of algebra and you'll have the ##v^2## dependency. You will also have to do some measurements with a constant mass and different surface areas to trade out the dependency on area.

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3
    Would you be so kind to explain this a bit further. The graph I obtained is attached.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 30, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At terminal velocity the filter is not accelerating. So the forces acting on it must sum to zero. You know what the two forces are.

6. Aug 30, 2014 #5
    That's obvious but from the graph that I have provided can I derive that mg=dv^2 where d is the drag constant? Or can I show that the proportionality constant is equal to g/d somehow?

The graph shows the following:
    $$ {v_{\textrm{T}}}^{2} \propto m$$
    and from this I want to show that:
    $$\Sigma F=mg-D{v_{\textrm{T}}}^{2}=0$$
    So that the drag force can be defined as following:
    $$F_{drag}=Dv^{2}$$

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So...

mg = .5CpAv2

Your graph is for

v2 = mg/.5CpA

The standard equation for a straight line is..

y = slope*x + constant

but constant = 0

So in this case

y = v2
    x = mass m

and the slope of the graph

= g/.5CpA

You know the slope.
    You know the area A
    You know g

That just leaves Cp.

Sorry had to edit a few typos in this post.

8. Aug 30, 2014 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how that would follow using only the graph. It follows from Newton's second law, and that ∑F=0 at a constant velocity.

See C. Watters post #6. Cp is the only unknown in the expression for the slope, so it can be calculated.

9. Aug 30, 2014 #8
    Ya that makes sense. Would it be correct to infer from the graph that the drag force is equal to: $F_drag=Dv^2$, where D is just a general drag constant?

10. Aug 30, 2014 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you can call D a "general" drag constant because D includes A (the area of the object). So it's specific to that size of filter cone rather than cones in general.

D = .5CpA

Had to edit for typo again.

11. Sep 1, 2014 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And wouldn't Cp include the density of air as well? That has to be in the drag force expression somewhere.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)#Drag_at_high_velocity
    we have
    [tex]F_{drag}=\frac{1}{2} \ \rho_{air} \ C_d \ v^2[/tex]
    where Cd is dimensionless -- and I'm pretty sure depends on the object's shape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook