Experimental Determination of “g” using an Elevator

In summary: With the elevator at rest you could drop an object from known height ##d## that takes ##t## to hit the floor, and get ##g = \frac{2d}{t^2}##.Um... What exactly does LoggerPro let you measure? What sensors have you got?
The Head
Homework Statement
Experimentally determine the value of ‘g’ by measuring the displacement, velocity, time, and acceleration of an object (using LoggerPro) in an elevator.
Relevant Equations
g=(ma - Fn)/m

d=vi*t + 1/2at^2
I’m kind of stuck on this one. I don’t see how we can use the acceleration of an elevator to find anything about the value of g. We can of course get the acceleration of the elevator, but it feels like that would be independent of gravitational strength. I feel like we need the mass or the Normal Force, but those aren’t things we’re asked to measure. We are just measuring kinematical values in an elevator climbing or falling several stories. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. The only thing that comes to mind is measure the acceleration downward in the elevator that results in zero force on the scale measuring your weight in the elevator...

berkeman said:
Hmm. The only thing that comes to mind is measure the acceleration downward in the elevator that results in zero force on the scale measuring your weight in the elevator...
Thanks for your reply— it seems like it is missing something to me too! Apparently the instructor says it can be done by continuously monitoring a, v, d, and t in the elevator. But to me, if you did this experiment on the Moon, all four of those variables could be the same as the values you get on Earth! So from that logic, it seems like whatever we measure has nothing to do with “g.”

The Head said:
Thanks for your reply— it seems like it is missing something to me too! Apparently the instructor says it can be done by continuously monitoring a, v, d, and t in the elevator. But to me, if you did this experiment on the Moon, all four of those variables could be the same as the values you get on Earth! So from that logic, it seems like whatever we measure has nothing to do with “g.”

With the elevator at rest you could drop an object from known height ##d## that takes ##t## to hit the floor, and get ##g = \frac{2d}{t^2}##.

Um... What exactly does LoggerPro let you measure? What sensors have you got? If it measures the apparent weight of an object you would seem to not need the elevator, just a standard mass.

What is the purpose of conducting an experiment to determine “g” using an elevator?

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the acceleration due to gravity (g) in a controlled environment. The acceleration due to gravity can vary depending on location and elevation, so conducting the experiment in an elevator allows for a more controlled and consistent measurement.

How is “g” calculated using an elevator?

“g” can be calculated using the formula g = 2d/t^2, where d is the distance traveled by the elevator and t is the time it takes for the elevator to travel that distance. This formula is derived from the equation for acceleration, a = (v2-v1)/t, where v2 is the final velocity and v1 is the initial velocity, which is 0 in this case due to the elevator starting and ending at rest.

What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include air resistance, friction in the elevator or pulley system, and human reaction time in starting and stopping the timer. It is also important to ensure that the elevator is traveling in a straight line and is not affected by any external forces, such as wind or vibrations.

How can the accuracy of the experimental results be improved?

The accuracy of the experimental results can be improved by taking multiple measurements and calculating an average value, using more precise timing devices, and minimizing any potential sources of error. It is also important to use proper units and significant figures in calculations to ensure accurate results.

What other factors can affect the value of “g” obtained from this experiment?

The value of “g” obtained from this experiment may also be affected by the elevation and location of the experiment, as well as the mass and distribution of mass within the elevator. Additionally, variations in the acceleration due to gravity caused by local geological features or the rotation of the Earth may also impact the results.