Experimental Physics Report - Unexpected Results

In summary: It looks like when you have several fibers of the same diameter, they will try to pack together into a 3D volume, sort of like a triangular cross-section. This is due to the fact that the fibers are trying to follow the shortest path between the two points where they are joined.
Tantalum
Hi everyone I have a quick question in regards to an experimental report I'm writing for my year 11 Physics class. Basically we have to test different variables that could effect a bungee cord fiber in relation to stress and strain by increasing the weight force on the fiber until it snaps. For the first part of the experiment I tested the effects of increasing the number of fibers.

The problem I face is that when I measured the diameters of the different grouped fibers using a digital caliper the single fiber was 0.13mm, three fibers was 0.26mm and five fibers was 0.25mm. I just want to know if anyone know why this might be the case, as it also happened when I was making different composite fibers. The method I used for making groups of fibers more than one was by clamping one end and spinning them.

Personally I think the fibers may be pressing into each other and causing the diameter to be smaller than expected. I just need someone to confirm this and explain further; or shows me what's really happening.

Thanks in advance,
Max

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you take several fibers with identical diameters of 0.13 mm and arrange them in different bundles.
For example, three smaller fibers are not going to lay side-by-side, they are going to pack into something which resembles a triangular cross section, like this:

O
OO

If you really want to find out how the strands with different numbers of individual fibers pack, soak a short length of the middle of your rope in some strong glue, like epoxy. When the glue has cured, cut the rope in two and examine the ends with a magnifying glass.

Page 1 of this attachment shows the cross section of different rope braids:

http://www.bairstow.com/media/pdf/safety/N7806.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, this helped allot.

Hello Max,

Thank you for sharing your experimental results and question with us. It is always important to carefully analyze and interpret unexpected results in science, as they can often lead to new discoveries and insights.

Based on the information you provided, it does seem likely that the fibers are pressing into each other and causing the smaller diameter measurements. This could be due to the spinning method you used, which may have caused the fibers to compact together. Another factor that could contribute to this is the elasticity of the fibers themselves, which may cause them to compress when clamped and spun.

To confirm this hypothesis, I suggest conducting further experiments where you vary the spinning speed and the clamping force to see if it has an effect on the resulting diameter measurements. Additionally, you could also try using different types of bungee cord fibers to see if they exhibit similar behavior.

Overall, it is important to carefully control and consider all variables in your experiment to ensure accurate and reliable results. Keep exploring and questioning your findings, as this is the essence of scientific inquiry. Good luck with your report!

1. What is an Experimental Physics Report?

An Experimental Physics Report is a written document that outlines the procedures, methods, and results of a scientific experiment conducted in the field of physics. It is used to communicate the findings of the experiment to other scientists and to contribute to the body of knowledge in the field.

2. What are Unexpected Results in an Experimental Physics Report?

Unexpected results in an Experimental Physics Report refer to findings that were not predicted or anticipated by the initial hypothesis or theoretical framework. These results may challenge existing theories and require further investigation to be fully understood.

3. Why are Unexpected Results important in Experimental Physics?

Unexpected results are important in Experimental Physics because they provide new insights and open up possibilities for further research. They can also lead to the development of new theories or the refinement of existing ones, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge.

4. How are Unexpected Results analyzed in an Experimental Physics Report?

Unexpected results in an Experimental Physics Report are analyzed by comparing them to the expected outcomes based on the initial hypothesis and theoretical framework. Researchers may also conduct additional experiments to validate the unexpected findings and determine their significance.

5. What is the significance of reporting Unexpected Results in Experimental Physics?

Reporting unexpected results in Experimental Physics is crucial for the advancement of scientific knowledge. It allows for transparency and accuracy in research, encourages critical thinking, and promotes collaboration among scientists. It also helps to identify areas for further investigation and contributes to the continuous development of the field.