1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experimental Physics Report - Unexpected Results

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone I have a quick question in regards to an experimental report I'm writing for my year 11 Physics class. Basically we have to test different variables that could effect a bungee cord fiber in relation to stress and strain by increasing the weight force on the fiber until it snaps. For the first part of the experiment I tested the effects of increasing the number of fibers.

The problem I face is that when I measured the diameters of the different grouped fibers using a digital caliper the single fiber was 0.13mm, three fibers was 0.26mm and five fibers was 0.25mm. I just want to know if anyone know why this might be the case, as it also happened when I was making different composite fibers. The method I used for making groups of fibers more than one was by clamping one end and spinning them.

Personally I think the fibers may be pressing into each other and causing the diameter to be smaller than expected. I just need someone to confirm this and explain further; or shows me what's really happening.

Thanks in advance,
    Max

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens if you take several fibers with identical diameters of 0.13 mm and arrange them in different bundles.
    For example, three smaller fibers are not going to lay side-by-side, they are going to pack into something which resembles a triangular cross section, like this:

O
    OO

If you really want to find out how the strands with different numbers of individual fibers pack, soak a short length of the middle of your rope in some strong glue, like epoxy. When the glue has cured, cut the rope in two and examine the ends with a magnifying glass.

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Page 1 of this attachment shows the cross section of different rope braids:

http://www.bairstow.com/media/pdf/safety/N7806.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Aug 18, 2013 #4
    Thank you, this helped allot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted