Experimental verification of matter waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of macroscopic objects like footballs behaving in a wave-like fashion according to the wave equations of quantum mechanics. This is based on the understanding that atoms can behave in a wavelike fashion and experiments have shown this. However, observing wavelike behavior in macroscopic objects is difficult due to their complex interactions with the environment. In order to make a football behave quantum mechanically, it would need to be cooled to a very low temperature and isolated from all external interactions. This is currently not achievable, but research is being done in this area. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using objects composed of a few particles for the thought experiment, but it is noted that it is difficult to completely isolate any system
Sturk200
I am told that even macroscopic objects like footballs obey the wave equations of quantum mechanics. Is there any experimentally based reason to believe this, or is it just said as a way of generalizing the theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google up An Interferometer for Atoms by David Keith et al.

Matter waves are real.

Sturk200 said:
I am told that even macroscopic objects like footballs obey the wave equations of quantum mechanics. Is there any experimentally based reason to believe this, or is it just said as a way of generalizing the theory?

If atoms can behave in a wavelike fashion (and experiments do show this), there is no reason to think that macroscopic objects couldn't behave in a wave-like fashion as well.

The problem with actually observing wavelike behavior in macroscopic objects is that the object is made up of a (relatively) gigantic jumble of atoms interacting with each other and with the outside environment (the atmosphere, sunlight, sound, etc). The Schrodinger equation only applies to a closed quantum system (large or small).In order to make a football behave quantum mechanically, you'd have to do two things:

First, you'd have to cool it way way down to a miniscule fraction above absolute zero. In particular, you'll want to cool it down to the point that the football has as little internal energy as possible. As a result, the quantum state of the football will be more like one big wavefunction instead of a jumble of little ones.

Second, you're going to want to isolate that football from any external interactions. That means no air, no sound waves, no light, and no heat (and also no gravity).

So making a football behave like a quantum particle is within the realm of imagination, but not really achievable in the foreseeable future. we're just starting to get large molecules behaving like single quantum particles. (see for example http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v401/n6754/abs/401680a0.html). In the future, we will be able to do better, but it's a long way between interfering objects made of dozens of atoms to interfering objects made of sextillions of atoms. It's fun to think about, though.

Likes bhobba
jfizzix said:
If atoms can behave in a wavelike fashion (and experiments do show this), there is no reason to think that macroscopic objects couldn't behave in a wave-like fashion as well.

The problem with actually observing wavelike behavior in macroscopic objects is that the object is made up of a (relatively) gigantic jumble of atoms interacting with each other and with the outside environment (the atmosphere, sunlight, sound, etc). The Schrodinger equation only applies to a closed quantum system (large or small).In order to make a football behave quantum mechanically, you'd have to do two things:

First, you'd have to cool it way way down to a miniscule fraction above absolute zero. In particular, you'll want to cool it down to the point that the football has as little internal energy as possible. As a result, the quantum state of the football will be more like one big wavefunction instead of a jumble of little ones.

Second, you're going to want to isolate that football from any external interactions. That means no air, no sound waves, no light, and no heat (and also no gravity).

So making a football behave like a quantum particle is within the realm of imagination, but not really achievable in the foreseeable future. we're just starting to get large molecules behaving like single quantum particles. (see for example http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v401/n6754/abs/401680a0.html). In the future, we will be able to do better, but it's a long way between interfering objects made of dozens of atoms to interfering objects made of sextillions of atoms. It's fun to think about, though.

So is it possible to trade the temperature constraint in the design of the experiment for span in spacetime (honestly I hate to say this, because I am become a broken record), like considering the experiment to be the presence or absence of interference in the evolution of a planetary structure surrounded by a dust cloud? A thing which has evolved over a huge spacetime interval, and may have accumulated QM effects? May have "synced"? (Ala Steven Strogatz)?

Last edited:
Jimster41 said:
So is it possible to trade the temperature constraint in the design of the experiment for span in spacetime (honestly I hate to say this, because I am become a broken record)

I think you need to be a lot clearer what you mean here. For me the above is gibberish.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Jimster41
Sturk200 said:

Who told you this?

Zz.

Fair enough, let me try to find some underlying questions I have. So I can at least learn something.

What's the difference between cooling it to within nearly zero K and "isolating it from all interaction"?

By isolating it from gravity, does that mean it has to be at rest in a perfectly flat spacetime? If so, at rest with respect to what frame?

A football seems really awkward to think about because it is such a classical object. For puposes of the thought experiment, can it be set up just using an object composed of a couple few particles? I want to have a better picture of how assembling objects from the SM illuminates the problem. Are there any of those that don't have Mass? Because I don't see how you can set it up using any kind of massive particle if you are isolating it from gravity?

Jimster41 said:
What's the difference between cooling it to within nearly zero K and "isolating it from all interaction"?

This is way off topic - please start a new thread.

But just as a lead into it it is impossible to isolate any system from all interaction. What is meant is isolating it well enough to investigate what's being studied.

But please start a new thread.

Thanks
Bill

Jimster41 said:
For puposes of the thought experiment, can it be set up just using an object composed of a couple few particles?

Look up Buckyballs.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DrChinese and Jimster41
Jimster41 said:
For puposes of the thought experiment, can it be set up just using an object composed of a couple few particles?

bhobba's* comment about buckyballs is intended to direct you to something like this:

http://qudev.ethz.ch/content/courses/phys4/studentspresentations/waveparticle/arndt_c60molecules.pdf

c60 has an atomic number of 720, so it is a pretty big molecule. From the article:

"... matter wave interferometry with larger objects has remained experimentally challenging... Of particular interest is the fact that C60 is almost a classical body, because of its many excited internal degrees of freedom and their possible couplings to the environment. "

*bhobba: my apologies for making this too easy. :)

Likes Jimster41 and bhobba
So that was 1999. I am assuming a lot has been done since?

So now (after reading it) I'm confused about why jfizzix said that you would need to cool a many QM body thing down to nearly 0K to observe it acting wave-like.

The thing that got me excited about that statement was that I thought I understood how reducing temperature is equivalent to limiting the interaction between the thing and it's environment, thereby preventing decoherence.

This sharpened for me the question of how temperature, rate-of-coupling/interaction/observation and time relate, and whether or not the amount of interference over an object's history is inversely related to temperature?

So, I apologize for making up some symbols, but in an effort to be more understandable - how incorrect is this gestalt?

[itex]I\sim { \dot { O } }^{ -1 }\\ \dot { O } \sim T\\ I\sim { T }^{ -1 }[/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the amount of interference, [itex] \dot { O }[/itex] is the frequency or rate of coupling with the environment or the "rate of observation", and [itex]T[/itex] is temperature.

So quantity of interference goes like the inverse frequency of observations or couplings
and the frequency of observations or couplings goes like temperature, therefore
the quantity of interference goes like the inverse of temperature

The experiment in the paper on the other hand is moving the bucky-balls by ejecting them from an oven! But the design of the two slit (and the vaporizor-detector) is still all about preventing observation of the their passage through the two paths. So my question about temperature and rate of observation is still there.

Last edited:
Jimster41 said:
So now (after reading it) I'm confused about why jfizzix said that you would need to cool a many QM body thing down to nearly 0K to observe it acting wave-like.

The thing that got me excited about that statement was that I thought I understood how reducing temperature is equivalent to limiting the interaction between the thing and it's environment, thereby preventing decoherence.

There are a lot of ways to slow things from decohering. Maintaining a low temperature is hardly the only way. A lot of interactions "net out" so there is no decoherence.

Ultimately, you must go back and recall that any quantum object is in a superposition of states at all times. Which particular properties are in superpositions may change. So when there is an interaction with the environment, part of what changes is which basis is known and which basis is indeterminate.

A low temperature implies electrons sitting in lower shells with fewer opportunities to drop yet lower. But a warm buckyball, during a short period of time, can have few opportunities to emit light in such a way as to cause its momentum to be precise. But still have many opportunities to interfere with itself.

Likes bhobba and Jimster41
http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.0270 Testing the limits of quantum mechanical superpositions is an up to date reference from Nature Physics which addresses the original question.

Likes Jimster41

1. What are matter waves?

Matter waves refer to the concept that all particles, including atoms and subatomic particles, can exhibit wave-like behavior. This idea was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in the early 20th century and has been experimentally verified through various experiments.

2. How can matter waves be experimentally verified?

One way to experimentally verify matter waves is through the double-slit experiment, where a beam of particles is sent through two small slits and produces an interference pattern on a screen behind it. This pattern is a result of the particles behaving like waves and interfering with each other.

3. Can matter waves be observed directly?

No, matter waves cannot be observed directly because they are a quantum phenomenon and cannot be directly measured. However, their effects can be observed and measured through experiments such as the double-slit experiment.

4. What is the significance of experimentally verifying matter waves?

The experimental verification of matter waves is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. Are there any other experiments besides the double-slit experiment that can verify matter waves?

Yes, there are other experiments that can verify matter waves, such as the diffraction of electrons through a crystal lattice and the observation of matter waves in Bose-Einstein condensates. These experiments all demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles and support the concept of matter waves.