Explain how a magnet can store up 200 times more energy for 24 hrs.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
gary350
Messages
293
Reaction score
83
TL;DR
Explain how this works?
I have a magnet that will lift only 1 lb of steel with an electric lift.

If I discharge a big capacitor into a 1000 turn coil with the magnet in the center of the coil it super charges the magnet it will lift 200 lbs for about 4 seconds. The magnet has a half life of about 4 second for about 30 seconds, 200 lbs drops to 100 lbs, then 50, then 25, then 12, etc. Half life starts geting longer 4 seconds becomes 10 seconds, then 30 sec, then 2 min, then 2 hrs, then 24 hrs. When the magnetic power drops to 2 lbs it takes about 24 hrs to get back to almost normal 1.2 lbs. It takes a month to be 1 lb again.

I have tried this with several other permanent magnets I can super charge all of them but they all return to almost normal in 24 hrs and normal in a month.

How is it possible for a magnet to store up such a strong magnetic power.?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more details about the geometry of the magnets and how you are coupling your coil to them? Also, if you can post datasheets for the magnets, that will help. Finally, do you have access to a Gaussmeter? Thanks.
 
I have to wonder whether you are "supercharging" the magnet with the coil, and instead what may be happening is a temporary magnetization of the steel load.