Explain why ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) is divergent

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a series, specifically the series Sn = {(1+1)/(1+2) , (1+2)/(1+4), (1+3)/(1+6), ...}, and whether or not its limit as n approaches infinity is equal to 0. The original poster attempts to prove that the series diverges by assuming it is convergent and finding a contradiction, but another user suggests a simpler method of computing the limit of Sn and concluding that the series diverges because 1/2 is not equal to 0. The use of an epsilon-delta proof is also mentioned.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

As the title says.

Homework Equations

mentioned in solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Sn = {(1+1)/(1+2) , (1+2)/(1+4), (1+3)/(1+6), ...}. If ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) is convergent, then lim n-->∞ Sn = 0; to put it another way, there exists an N so that whenever n ≤ N,

|(1+n)/(1+2n)|=(1+n)/(1+2n) < ∂ for all ∂ > 0.

(1+n)/(1+2n) < ∂ ----> (1+2n)/(1+n) > 1/∂ ----> 1 + n/(n+1) > 1/∂.

But since n/(n+1) < 1 for all n, the inequality 1 + n/(n+1) < 1/∂ fails when ∂ ≤ 1/2.

Thus the series converges.

Physics news on Phys.org
But we have

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{1+n}{1+2n}}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

So the series diverges...

micromass said:
But we have

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{1+n}{1+2n}}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

So the series diverges...

Huh?

Jamin2112 said:
Huh?

Why "huh?". The limit of the terms in your series isn't zero. Are you trying to derive a contradiction by assuming it is? If so, that's an odd way to go about proving the series doesn't converge.

Dick said:
Why "huh?". The limit of the terms in your series isn't zero. Are you trying to derive a contradiction by assuming it is? If so, that's an odd way to go about proving the series doesn't converge.

I thought I did find a contradiction. I assumed it was convergent, then I used the definition of convergence and found a flaw (the "for all epsilon").

Jamin2112 said:
I thought I did find a contradiction. I assumed it was convergent, then I used the definition of convergence and found a flaw (the "for all epsilon").

I suppose you could do it that way. It's just awkward. Most people would just compute the limit of the Sn, conclude it's 1/2 and then say the series diverges because 1/2 isn't 0. I don't think you need an epsilon-delta proof here.

1. What is the formula for ∑(1+n)/(1+2n)?

The formula for ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) is the sum of the expression (1+n)/(1+2n) for every value of n from 1 to infinity.

2. Why is ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) considered divergent?

∑(1+n)/(1+2n) is considered divergent because the sum of the expression does not approach a finite value as n approaches infinity. This means that the series does not have a well-defined limit and therefore cannot be considered convergent.

3. How is the divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) proven?

The divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) can be proven using the Divergence Test, which states that if the limit of the general term of a series is not equal to 0, then the series must be divergent. In this case, the limit of (1+n)/(1+2n) as n approaches infinity is equal to 1, which is not equal to 0, thus proving divergence.

4. Are there any exceptions to the divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n)?

No, there are no exceptions to the divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n). The Divergence Test is a fundamental rule that applies to all series, and if the limit of the general term is not equal to 0, the series must be divergent.

5. Can the divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) be proven using other methods?

Yes, the divergence of ∑(1+n)/(1+2n) can also be proven using other methods such as the Integral Test or the Comparison Test. However, these methods may be more complex and may not be as straightforward as using the Divergence Test.