Explanation from Part of Griffith's text (Differential Equation)

In summary, the conversation is about solving the differential equation for the harmonic oscillator. The best way to approach this is by taking an informed guess and checking if it works. The ladder operator formalism is also mentioned as an alternative method. The approximate solution is found to be a Gaussian waveform, which makes sense intuitively.
tylerscott
This is from section 2.3 in Griffith's book on the harmonic oscillator, and apparently this differential equation should be obvious (to move on in my reading, I need to understand this first). I'm not quite sure how to solve a second order ODE without constant coefficients, so help to get to the given solution of the equation would be more than welcome.
Here is a grab of it:
ZhjKN.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Oftentimes, the best way to solve these sorts of equations is just by the time-honored technique of taking an informed guess (a procedure which you justify by giving it the official-sounding name of "ansatz" :smile:), and then checking whether it works. In this case, it's fairly straightforward to check that

[tex]\frac{d^2}{d\xi^2} (A e^{-\xi^2/2} + B e^{\xi^2/2}) = A(\xi^2-1)e^{-\xi^2/2} + B(\xi^2+1)e^{\xi^2/2}[/tex]

Which is an approximate solution to the equation as long as [itex]\xi[/itex] is large.

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much about this approximate solution for anything past a general characterization of the solutions. You're almost certainly going to turn around in the very next section and redo the whole problem using the ladder operator formalism, which allows you to convert the problem into a much simpler first-order equation that you can solve exactly.

Last edited:
Actually, Griffiths solves the harmonic oscillator using the algebraic method (ladder operators) first, before describing the analytic method that is being discussed here. Unless he's switched them around for the second edition; I have only the first edition at hand.

jtbell said:
Actually, Griffiths solves the harmonic oscillator using the algebraic method (ladder operators) first, before describing the analytic method that is being discussed here. Unless he's switched them around for the second edition; I have only the first edition at hand.

Yeah, you're correct. The ladder operator formalism makes more sense to me than the analytic method.

Ah, my bad. I've actually never read Griffiths (blasphemy, I know!) Most of the texts I've seen have started with the analytic method, slogged through it for a while, and then gone "man, that was hard. Hey, let's check out these nifty ladder operators instead--isn't that nicer?"

In any case, since you're only calculating an approximation here, it's difficult to provide any hard and fast rules about how to come up with solutions to the equation. Intuitively, though, you know that the harmonic oscillator is a potential well, so you know the solution is going to be some sort of peaked waveform. The simplest peaked waveform which still tends towards 0 at infinity (so that it's normalizable) is the Gaussian, so something with that form is a logical place to start. Then you just plug it in, and see if it works.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

1. What is Griffith's text about?

Griffith's text is about differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe how physical quantities change over time or space.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to model and understand complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics.

3. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves only one independent variable, such as time. It describes how a single variable changes over time.

4. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves multiple independent variables, such as both time and space. It describes how a system changes over time and space.

5. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically, using mathematical methods, or numerically, using computational techniques. The solution will depend on the specific type and complexity of the equation.