Explanation of Rayleighs work on vibrations of liquid droplets

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
M_1
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the vibrational energy of a water droplet for a given vibrational amplitude.
Rayleigh wrote about this in Proc. R. Soc. Lond., volume 29, 1879, "On the Capillary Phenomena of Jets", Appendix II, but he makes some simplifications (as I understand it) and I also have problems following parts of his calculus.

Is anyone aware of a thesis or master thesis or similar on this subject where the work of Rayleigh is presented in a more accesible way?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what level of detail you want to go into, but does the derivation involve the spherical wave equation? If you calculated the amplitude from that and then introduced the water tension to get the work wouldn't we get a relatively accurate measure of the vibrational energy?
http://www.giseis.alaska.edu/input/carl/research/pubs/thesis/membrane_cht_THESIS.pdf
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person