Explanation that sin(x+iy) is one-to-one

• I
  • Thread starter hotvette
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, the textbook explains that the complex function sin(x+iy) is one-to-one in the domain 0 ≤ x < π/2 and y ≥ 0. It also states that for a specific equation, the absolute value of the left side is 1 and the absolute value of the right side is e^y1 + y2. This implies that -1 = e^(-ix1 - ix2). The reason for this is that when simplifying the equation, all terms have a magnitude of 1 except for the last two, which have a magnitude of e^(y1 + y2) due to the properties of complex numbers.
hotvette
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Complex Variables by Stephen Fisher
Not hw, just reading the textbook. In section 1.5, page 50, the book goes through an explanation that [itex]\sin(x+iy)[/itex] is one-to-one if [itex]0 \le x < \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]y \ge 0[/itex]. At one point the book states that for [itex]1 = -e^{-i x_1}\,e^{-i x_2}\,e^{y_1}\,e^{y_2}[/itex] the absolute value of the left side is 1 and that of the right side is [itex]e^{y_1 + y_2}[/itex]. It then states that this result implies that [itex]-1 = e^{-ix_1-ix_2}[/itex].

I don't at all see why [itex]\left\vert-e^{-i x_1}\,e^{-i x_2}\,e^{y_1}\,e^{y_2}\right\vert = e^{y_1 + y_2}[/itex]. Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just simplify ##|-e^{-ix_1}e^{-ix_2}e^{y_1}e^{y_2}|=|-e^{-ix_1}|\cdot |e^{-ix_2}|\cdot |e^{y_1}|\cdot |e^{y_2}|=1\cdot 1\cdot e^{y_1}\cdot e^{y_2}=e^{y_1+y_2}.##

Keep in mind that if ##t## is real, then ##|e^{it}|=|\cos(t)+i\sin(t)|=1##.

I figured it must be simple. I too often miss the obvious. Thanks!

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value). In other words, no two different inputs can have the same output. This is also known as an injective function.

2. How can we prove that sin(x+iy) is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, we can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. In the case of sin(x+iy), the graph is a continuous curve that does not intersect the horizontal line more than once, therefore it is one-to-one.

3. Is sin(x+iy) a bijective function?

No, sin(x+iy) is not a bijective function because it is not onto. A bijective function is both one-to-one and onto, meaning that each input has a unique output and every output has at least one corresponding input. Since sin(x+iy) is not onto, it cannot be bijective.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x and y for sin(x+iy) to be one-to-one?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x and y for sin(x+iy) to be one-to-one. In general, the domain of sin(x+iy) is all complex numbers. However, to ensure that it is one-to-one, the imaginary part (y) must be limited to a certain range. Specifically, y must be between -π/2 and π/2, otherwise the function will not be one-to-one.

5. How is the one-to-one property of sin(x+iy) useful in mathematics?

The one-to-one property of sin(x+iy) is useful in various mathematical applications, such as in solving equations and in geometric transformations. It allows us to uniquely determine the value of x for a given output of the function, making it easier to solve equations involving sin(x+iy). It also helps in understanding the behavior of complex functions and their graphs.