Explanation to some observations

In summary: If the fan is on, then you have to close the door against air pressure. It only has an effect right before the door closes. I'm guessing that's why it's hard to close.
zorro
I need explanations of some observations -

1) How do they remove the anti-theft tags from clothes (mechanism behind it)?
2) How do trolleys no matter how heavy stick to a cartveyor?
3) Why do we need to apply more force to close the door (not throughout - just before complete closing) of a room in which there is an exhaust-fan (bathrooms usually)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please answer atleast one.

I'm not sure of the 1st one, and I don't even know what the 2nd one is.

As for the 3rd, if the door closes from the inside, then you are pulling the door closes against a force of air trying to get in and out through the fan. My bedroom door will close itself when my AC unit is on in my house, as the air wants to get out of the door and will force it closed in the process.

Drakkith said:
I'm not sure of the 1st one, and I don't even know what the 2nd one is.

In hypermarkets (like Carrefour) that have different floors for shopping, there are cartveyors (analogous to escalators) to help move from one floor to another with heavy trolleys. You don't need to apply any force to hold these trolleys, they 'stick' to the cartveyor.

Drakkith said:
As for the 3rd, if the door closes from the inside, then you are pulling the door closes against a force of air trying to get in and out through the fan. My bedroom door will close itself when my AC unit is on in my house, as the air wants to get out of the door and will force it closed in the process.

The problem here is that you don't apply a constant force to close the door. You have to apply much more force just before closing. You will understand it clearly if you try it out.

Abdul Quadeer said:
The problem here is that you don't apply a constant force to close the door. You have to apply much more force just before closing. You will understand it clearly if you try it out.

Sorry, my two examples were opposites. Does your door open to the inside of the room or the outside?

Drakkith said:
Does your door open to the inside of the room or the outside?

Haha ...It opens to the inside of the room. Is that relevant? :confused:

Abdul Quadeer said:
Haha ...It opens to the inside of the room. Is that relevant? :confused:

If the fan is on, then you have to close the door against air pressure. It only has an effect right before the door closes. I'm guessing that's why it's hard to close.

1. What is the purpose of explaining observations?

The purpose of explaining observations is to understand why certain events or phenomena occur and to provide a logical and evidence-based explanation for their occurrence.

2. How do scientists explain observations?

Scientists use the scientific method to explain observations. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments and collecting data, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

3. What makes a good scientific explanation?

A good scientific explanation should be supported by evidence and logical reasoning. It should also be testable, falsifiable, and able to make predictions about future observations.

4. Can observations be explained without using the scientific method?

While the scientific method is the most reliable way to explain observations, other methods such as intuition, personal experience, and anecdotal evidence can also be used. However, these methods may not always provide accurate or objective explanations.

5. Are all observations able to be explained?

No, not all observations can be explained. Some phenomena may be too complex or not well understood by current scientific knowledge. In these cases, more research and evidence may be needed to provide a satisfactory explanation.