Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit form of scalar propagator

1. Nov 10, 2013 #1
    Hi!

I have encountered a little problem. I want to show
    that the explicit form of the Feynman propagator for massless scalar fields is given by:

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    G_F(x) & = - \lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{4}k}{(2 \pi)^{4}} \dfrac{1}{k^{2} + i \epsilon} \mathrm{e}^{- i k x}
    \\
    & = - \lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2}} \dfrac{1}{x^{2} -i \epsilon}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

And I would like to do that directly, i.e., without starting from the massive case and considering the limit [itex] m \to 0 [/itex].

I found a script where one can find a derivation of that result,

http://mo.pa.msu.edu/phy853/lectures/lectures.pdf

on pages 58-59.

There, the integration is split up into the imaginary and real part.

But for the imaginary part, the author finds:

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    G_F,i(x) & = \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2} r} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \cos(k x_{0}) \sin(k r)
    \\
    & = \dfrac{1}{16 \pi^{2} r i} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \left[ \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}-r)} \right]
    \\
    & = - \frac{1}{8 \pi^{2} r} \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \right]
    \\
    & = - \frac{1}{4 \pi^{2} x^{2}}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

Here, I don't understand how the integration is performed. I think if you integrate every exponential term it will diverge at [itex]\infty[/itex], but somehow the author ends up with a finite term.

Does anyone understand what is going on here?

Furthermore, I think we should end up with Cauchy's principal value and not just 1/x^2, right?

Maybe, someone has a more "elegant" way of deriving the massless propagator?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2013 #2
    Make a change of variables k'=ik or k'=-ik as needed

4. Nov 10, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your hint, but somehow I don't see how that could help.
    If I make the substitution [itex] k' = i k [/itex] I find:

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k & \left[ \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}-r)} \right] =
    \\
    & = -i \int_{0}^{i \infty} \mathrm{d}k \left[ \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}-r)} \right]
    \\
    & = -i \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} \left( \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}+r)} \right) - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \left( \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}-r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}-r)} \right) \right] \Bigg|_{0}^{i \infty}
    \\
    & = -2 i \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} \mathrm{cosh}(k (x_{0} + r)) - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \mathrm{cosh}(k(x_{0}-r)) \right] \Bigg|_{0}^{i \infty}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

And this will diverge for [itex] k \to i \infty [/itex].

Do you have an idea to resolve this problem?

5. Nov 10, 2013 #4
    Multiply integrand by [itex]\exp(-\alpha k)[/itex], integrate it and then take limit of [itex]\alpha[/itex] as zero.
    [itex]\alpha [/itex] is real and positive.

6. Nov 10, 2013 #5
    OK, thanks a lot :smile:. This seems to work.

But what I still not undestand is: Why can the result [itex] - \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2} x^{2}} [/itex] be undestood as Cauchy's principal value?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook