Explicit form of scalar propagator

In summary, the explicit form of the Feynman propagator for massless scalar fields is given by: -G_F(x) = -\lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2}} \dfrac{1}{x^{2} -i \epsilon} -i \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \cos(k x_{0}) \sin(k r) -\int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \left[ \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}+r
parton
Hi!

I have encountered a little problem. I want to show
that the explicit form of the Feynman propagator for massless scalar fields is given by:

[tex]
\begin{align}
G_F(x) & = - \lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{4}k}{(2 \pi)^{4}} \dfrac{1}{k^{2} + i \epsilon} \mathrm{e}^{- i k x}
\\
& = - \lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2}} \dfrac{1}{x^{2} -i \epsilon}
\end{align}
[/tex]

And I would like to do that directly, i.e., without starting from the massive case and considering the limit [itex] m \to 0 [/itex].

I found a script where one can find a derivation of that result,

http://mo.pa.msu.edu/phy853/lectures/lectures.pdf

on pages 58-59.

There, the integration is split up into the imaginary and real part.

But for the imaginary part, the author finds:

[tex]
\begin{align}
G_F,i(x) & = \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2} r} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \cos(k x_{0}) \sin(k r)
\\
& = \dfrac{1}{16 \pi^{2} r i} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k \left[ \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}-r)} \right]
\\
& = - \frac{1}{8 \pi^{2} r} \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \right]
\\
& = - \frac{1}{4 \pi^{2} x^{2}}
\end{align}
[/tex]

Here, I don't understand how the integration is performed. I think if you integrate every exponential term it will diverge at [itex]\infty[/itex], but somehow the author ends up with a finite term.

Does anyone understand what is going on here?

Furthermore, I think we should end up with Cauchy's principal value and not just 1/x^2, right?

Maybe, someone has a more "elegant" way of deriving the massless propagator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a change of variables k'=ik or k'=-ik as needed

dauto said:
Make a change of variables k'=ik or k'=-ik as needed

Thank you for your hint, but somehow I don't see how that could help.
If I make the substitution [itex] k' = i k [/itex] I find:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}k & \left[ \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-ik(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{ik(x_{0}-r)} \right] =
\\
& = -i \int_{0}^{i \infty} \mathrm{d}k \left[ \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}+r)} - \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}-r)} - \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}-r)} \right]
\\
& = -i \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} \left( \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}+r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}+r)} \right) - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \left( \mathrm{e}^{k(x_{0}-r)} + \mathrm{e}^{-k(x_{0}-r)} \right) \right] \Bigg|_{0}^{i \infty}
\\
& = -2 i \left[ \dfrac{1}{x_{0} + r} \mathrm{cosh}(k (x_{0} + r)) - \dfrac{1}{x_{0} - r} \mathrm{cosh}(k(x_{0}-r)) \right] \Bigg|_{0}^{i \infty}
\end{align}
[/tex]

And this will diverge for [itex] k \to i \infty [/itex].

Do you have an idea to resolve this problem?

Multiply integrand by [itex]\exp(-\alpha k)[/itex], integrate it and then take limit of [itex]\alpha[/itex] as zero.
[itex]\alpha [/itex] is real and positive.

Ravi Mohan said:
Multiply integrand by [itex]\exp(-\alpha k)[/itex], integrate it and then take limit of [itex]\alpha[/itex] as zero.
[itex]\alpha [/itex] is real and positive.

OK, thanks a lot :smile:. This seems to work.

But what I still not undestand is: Why can the result [itex] - \dfrac{1}{4 \pi^{2} x^{2}} [/itex] be undestood as Cauchy's principal value?

1. What is the explicit form of a scalar propagator?

The explicit form of a scalar propagator is a mathematical expression that describes the propagation of a scalar field from one point to another in space and time. It is used in quantum field theory to calculate the amplitude of a particle to travel from one point to another.

2. How is the explicit form of a scalar propagator derived?

The explicit form of a scalar propagator is derived using Feynman diagrams and the rules of quantum field theory. It involves summing over all possible paths of the particle and calculating the amplitude for each path. The total amplitude is then obtained by adding these individual amplitudes together.

3. What is the significance of the explicit form of a scalar propagator in particle physics?

The explicit form of a scalar propagator is an important tool in particle physics as it allows us to calculate the probabilities of interactions between particles. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in different physical situations and provides a way to make predictions about experimental results.

4. Can the explicit form of a scalar propagator be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the explicit form of a scalar propagator can be applied to all types of particles, including bosons and fermions. However, the specific form of the propagator may vary depending on the type of particle being considered.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the explicit form of a scalar propagator?

One limitation of the explicit form of a scalar propagator is that it assumes the particle is traveling in a vacuum. It also does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions with other particles. Additionally, the calculations can become quite complex for systems with multiple interacting particles.