Explicit Formula for Sum of Series

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about finding an explicit formula for the sum of n terms in a given series. The series in question is the harmonic series, and it is noted that there is no simple formula for the sum. Various attempts at finding a formula are mentioned, such as using the Euler-Mascheroni constant and digamma function, but it is ultimately concluded that there is no elementary formula for the nth partial sum. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the denominator would be the least common multiple of 1 to n, while the numerator remains a mystery.
Andy111

Homework Statement

Determine an explicit formula for the sum of n terms for the given series:

1, [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the first 5 terms for the sum sequence and got:

1, [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex], [tex]\frac{11}{6}[/tex], [tex]\frac{25}{12}[/tex], [tex]\frac{137}{60}[/tex]

but I can't find a pattern to determine an explicit formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but wouldn't it just be [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n[/tex] ?

The question asks for n terms, not an infinite number of terms

Oh, sorry. I read the original post too quickly.

That's alright, nothing to bash heads in about! As for the problem, it's a doozy...

You're right, it is a doozy! This series is known as a harmonic series, and according to http://plus.maths.org/issue12/features/harmonic/index.html" , "there is no simple formula, akin to the formulae for the sums of arithmetic and geometric series, for the sum."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then wouldn't it just be:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}[/tex]

[tex] S_1=1[/tex]

[tex]S_2=1+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{2+1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]S_3=1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{6+3+2}{6}[/tex]

[tex]S_4=1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{4}=\frac{12+6+4+3}{12}[/tex]

blah, that doesn't actually seem to work!

I know! It's whack!

I started out trying to find formulas for numerator and denominator separately. In cases where it doesn't simplify, the denominator is n! . As for the numerator, aside from the obvious (n! + n!/2 + n!/3+...+n!/n) I do not see how to arrive at a formula.

According to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HarmonicSeries.html you can write it as a sum of the Euler-Mascheroni constant and a digamma function. I'm guessing if there were an easier expression they would have mentioned it. I think steelphantom is right, there is no elementary formula.

I think all it is is sigma from k=2 to n of 1/n. very simple that would start off with one half then one third then one quarter and so on.

That much is obvious. The trouble is finding a formula for the nth partial sum.

I think it's impossible, infinity would be the common denominator.

beanny007 said:
Not for the sum of n (a finite number) terms.

beanny007 said:

The denominator ought to be the lcm(1,2,...,n) whereas the numerator is the puzzle.

What is the explicit formula for sum of series?

The explicit formula for sum of series is a general expression that allows us to find the sum of an infinite series. It is also known as the closed form formula and is represented by the symbol Sn.

How is the explicit formula for sum of series derived?

The explicit formula for sum of series is derived using various mathematical techniques such as geometric series, telescoping series, and integration. The derivation process depends on the type of series being evaluated.

What is the purpose of using the explicit formula for sum of series?

The purpose of using the explicit formula for sum of series is to simplify the process of finding the sum of an infinite series. It allows us to find the sum without having to add an infinite number of terms, which can be a time-consuming process.

What are the limitations of the explicit formula for sum of series?

The explicit formula for sum of series can only be used for certain types of series, such as arithmetic, geometric, and telescoping series. It cannot be applied to more complex series, such as alternating series or series with non-constant terms.

How can the explicit formula for sum of series be applied in real-world situations?

The explicit formula for sum of series can be applied in various fields of science and mathematics, such as finance, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the total cost of a loan, the total distance traveled by an object, or the total voltage in an electrical circuit, to name a few examples.