Exploring the Differences: Linear Algebra vs Algebra in Mathematics and Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a student attending McGill university who has to choose between taking Honours Applied Linear Algebra and Honours Algebra. The linear algebra course includes matrix algebra, determinants, systems of linear equations, abstract vector spaces, and Fourier series. The algebra course covers linear equations, vector spaces, determinants, and canonical forms. Generally, physicists take the linear algebra course while mathematicians take the algebra course. The student is interested in theoretical physics but is unsure which course to take. The conversation also discusses the usefulness of linear algebra in quantum mechanics and relativity. One person believes that a separate course in linear algebra is a waste of time while another disagrees and believes it is necessary for understanding concepts in physics. The algebra course may
zalba
This is something that I haven't really found much info on. I'm a student attending McGill university, and I have a choice between taking Honours Applied Linear Algebra and Honours Algebra.

Linear algebra:
Mathematics & Statistics (Sci) : Matrix algebra, determinants, systems of linear equations. Abstract vector spaces, inner product spaces, Fourier series. Linear transformations and their matrix representations. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalizable and defective matrices, positive definite and semidefinite matrices. Quadratic and Hermitian forms, generalized eigenvalue problems, simultaneous reduction of quadratic forms. Applications.

Algebra:
Mathematics & Statistics (Sci) : Linear equations over a field. Introduction to vector spaces. Linear maps and their matrix representation. Determinants. Canonical forms. Duality. Bilinear and quadratic forms. Real and complex inner product spaces. Diagonalization of self-adjoint operators.

Now, generally the physicists take the linear algebra while the mathematicians take algebra. I'm interested in theoretical physics (currently GR, string theory, and astro), but since I'm only second year that may change.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eventually, as a theoretical physicist, you will need to take both courses. There is some overlap, according to the course descriptions. IMO, I would take linear algebra first.

zalba said:
This is something that I haven't really found much info on. I'm a student attending McGill university, and I have a choice between taking Honours Applied Linear Algebra and Honours Algebra.

Linear algebra:
Mathematics & Statistics (Sci) : Matrix algebra, determinants, systems of linear equations. Abstract vector spaces, inner product spaces, Fourier series. Linear transformations and their matrix representations. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalizable and defective matrices, positive definite and semidefinite matrices. Quadratic and Hermitian forms, generalized eigenvalue problems, simultaneous reduction of quadratic forms. Applications.

Algebra:
Mathematics & Statistics (Sci) : Linear equations over a field. Introduction to vector spaces. Linear maps and their matrix representation. Determinants. Canonical forms. Duality. Bilinear and quadratic forms. Real and complex inner product spaces. Diagonalization of self-adjoint operators.

Now, generally the physicists take the linear algebra while the mathematicians take algebra. I'm interested in theoretical physics (currently GR, string theory, and astro), but since I'm only second year that may change.

Based on the descriptions, the linear algebra course seems to have everything in the algebra plus additional material (abstract vector spaces, inner product, Fourier series). If the algebra course is for mathematicians I presume there is a subsequent course containing that material.

Both the courses you mentioned seem quite applied. What about honors linear algebra for pure mathematicians, have you considered that by any chance? I'm sure McGill of all places would have such a class.

i would take the first course for the Fourier series.

My personal opinion is that a separate course in Linear Algebra is a waste of time. I would learn it as you go along.

Also, nowadays theoretical physics is no less mathematically sophisticated as theoretical mathematics. If you want to be a string theorist you will need theoretical math and need to understand it, not just use it.

zalba said:
Linear algebra:

Algebra:
The topics you listed are all topics in linear algebra, so the one called "algebra" is really a linear algebra course. I really can't tell how they're different based on these descriptions. Is the difference that one of them is more proof oriented?

lavinia said:
My personal opinion is that a separate course in Linear Algebra is a waste of time. I would learn it as you go along.
I strongly disagree with this.

Fredrik said:
I strongly disagree with this.

Why not explain why? I think it would be useful.

lavinia said:
Why not explain why? I think it would be useful.
It's mainly that linear algebra is so useful in quantum mechanics, and also in relativity. The matrix version of Lorentz transformations is much more elegant (and in my opinion easier to understand) than the component version. You need to understand inner product spaces, orthonormal bases and eigenvectors and eigenvalues, for everything in QM. When you study spin-1/2 systems, you need to understand the relationship between linear operators and matrices*. If you know this, it will be much easier to understand tensors in general relativity.

*) Physics students always struggle with this, because they are terrible at it, even though they have taken a linear algebra course. So I think it would be better idea to take the course twice than to not take it at all.

Also, the books on QM don't explain this stuff very well, if at all.

I believe that the Algebra course is more of a proof-based course, due to the fact that in the regular physics degree (instead of the math-physics one I am in), they have to take linear algebra. This is the continuation of the course for algebra that I have a choice of taking (though I think I'm leaning more towards the analysis course anyway):

Algebra 3: Introduction to monoids, groups, permutation groups; the isomorphism theorems for groups; the theorems of Cayley, Lagrange and Sylow; structure of groups of low order. Introduction to ring theory; integral domains, fields, quotient field of an integral domain; polynomial rings; unique factorization domains.

What is the difference between linear algebra and algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is an extension of algebra and focuses on solving systems of equations with multiple variables. Algebra, on the other hand, deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations to solve for unknown values.

What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve systems of equations, analyze data sets, and optimize processes.

Is linear algebra more advanced than algebra?

Yes, linear algebra is considered more advanced than algebra as it builds upon the concepts and techniques learned in algebra. It also introduces new concepts such as vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations.

Do I need to know algebra before learning linear algebra?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra before learning linear algebra. Many concepts in linear algebra, such as solving systems of equations and matrix operations, build upon algebraic principles.

Can linear algebra be used in real-life situations?

Yes, linear algebra has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is used to solve real-world problems and make predictions based on data.