Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Exponential expansion of inflation

Tags:
  1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    The expansion of the inflationary universe is said to be roughly exponential. Why is it called "roughly" exponential?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In what source? Please give a specific reference.

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    It's mentioned in most cosmology texts, e.g. Cosmology by Steven Weinberg, in Inflation chapter.

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Ok, so can you give a specific quote and page/section reference?

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5
    ".....there was an earlier period of inflation, when the energy density of the universe was dominated by a slowly varying vacuum energy, and a(t) grew more or less exponentially." Pg. 201.

7. Apr 27, 2016 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

I would say the "more or less exponentially" is a consequence of the "slowly varying vacuum energy". As I understand it, only a vacuum energy that is exactly constant will lead to an expansion that is exactly exponential.

8. Apr 27, 2016 #7

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It's more that only in a universe with nothing in it but vacuum energy will the expansion be exactly exponential. It's not quite exponential because there's other matter around.

9. Apr 27, 2016 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Is there, though? As I understand the basic inflation model, the Standard Model fields are all in their vacuum states during inflation, and all of these fields have zero vacuum expectation value for energy; they only get reheated to highly non-vacuum, high temperature states at the end of inflation.

10. Apr 27, 2016 #9

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Argh, sorry, you're right. I was thinking of the current near-exponential expansion. Never mind.

Yes, expansion during inflation isn't quite exponential because the field that drives inflation isn't constant. The field just varies slowly enough that near-exponential expansion occurs.

11. Apr 28, 2016 #10
    Thank you for clarifying the issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted