1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponents and exponential functions

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    Please note, there are more questions than what I'm going to give, in total I'll be giving 3. I hope to use the information with the others.

1) 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation:
    [tex]5^{1-2x} = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that to make live easier, to put the entire fraction up to the first power. From there, I would use algebra in the sense of:
    [tex]1-2x=1[/tex]
    [tex]-2x=0[/tex]
    To get x = 0. But, that doesn't seem to be possible, since the exponent must turn out to be negative.

2) 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the Equation:
    [tex]8^{x^{2} - 2x}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

For this one, I was thinking of setting the fraction equal to 1, then factoring that out to get two answers:
    [tex]x^2 - 2x = 1[/tex] [tex]x^2 - 2x - 1 = 0[/tex]
    But, then I'm stuck there.

3) 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation:
    [tex]e^{x^2} = (e^{3x})(\frac{1}{e^2})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

I'm completely clueless on this one.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually a very relevant equation, or, more correctly, statement, would be "if ax= ay then x= y" (the exponential functions are "one-to-one").

[itex]\frac{1}{5}= 5^{-1}[/itex] not 51

8= 23 so [itex]8^{x^2- 2x}= 2^{3(x^2- 2x)}[/itex]

Learn the "laws of exponents": (ax)y= axy (used in 2 above) and axay[/sup]= ax+y.
    Here, [itex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2}= (e^{3x})(e^{-x})= e^{3x-x}= e^{2x}[/itex]. Your equation is [itex]e^{x^2}= e^{x}[/itex] so x2= x.

4. Jan 3, 2007 #3
    All right. For the first one, I see where you went from there. I got the answer to that to be [tex]x=1[/tex].

Ok, so with the exponents, that would be [tex]3(x^2 - 2x) = 1[/tex]. Then, factoring out an x would make it: 3x(x-2) =1 . Dividing it would cause the equation to look like: [tex]x-2 = \frac{1}{3x}[/tex] Then [tex]-2 = \frac{-2}{3x}[/tex] then [tex]-6x = -2[/tex] then finally I get [tex]x = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]. Is that correct?

Ok, since that is so, the answer could only be either 0 or 1, since both when squared equal what it orginally was.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{1}{2}=2^{-1}[/tex] not 21

This is a quadratic equation, and so will have two solutions. In solving it, you should put the equation in the familliar form, and use the quadratic formula:
    [tex] x=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} [/tex]. In particular, you cannot divide by x, since you do not know it's value (it could be zero.)

Actually, I think HallsofIvy carried a typo through the below calculation:

It should read:
    [tex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2})= (e^{3x})(e^{-2})= e^{3x-2}[/tex] which gives your equation [itex]e^{x^2}=e^{3x-2}[/itex] giving [itex]x^2=3x-2[/itex]. This can again be solved as a quadratic equation.

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?