Express as the product of four factors

  • Thread starter Thread starter MorallyObtuse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Factors Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
MorallyObtuse
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Express as the product of four factors
Is this correct?
[tex]a^6 - b^6 = (a - b)(a^5 + a^4b + a^3b^2 + a^2b^3 + ab^4 + b^3)[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MorallyObtuse said:

Homework Statement


Express as the product of four factors
Is this correct?
[tex]a^6 - b^6 = (a - b)(a^5 + a^4b + a^3b^2 + a^2b^3 + ab^4 + b^3)[/tex]
What you have written is true. It is not a "correct" response to the problem because, obviously, it does not have four factors. Start again. Think of [itex]a^6- b^6[/itex] as [itex](a^3)^2- (a^3)^2[/itex].
 
Hi MorallyObtuse,
By the law of indices (a m)n=amxn
and so you can also represent it like this(like HallsofIvy said)
=(a^3)^2-(b^3)^2
And then you can simplyfy it like this
=(a^3-b^3)(a^3+b^3)
and finaly u have your 4 terms
(a-b) (a^2+ab+b^2) (a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)
I think you get it.
 
1/2" said:
Hi MorallyObtuse,
By the law of indices (a m)n=amxn
and so you can also represent it like this(like HallsofIvy said)
=(a^3)^2-(b^3)^2
And then you can simplyfy it like this
=(a^3-b^3)(a^3+b^3)
and finaly u have your 4 terms
(a-b) (a^2+ab+b^2) (a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)
I think you get it.

No I don't get it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
 
a6 - b6 = (a3 + b3)(a3 - b3)
Each factor on the right can be further factored using known formulas for the sum of cubes and difference of cubes.
 
MorallyObtuse said:
I don't get it?!

MorallyObtuse said:
No I don't get it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Then you should talk to your teacher about it.
 
And thanks very much :)

[itex](a-b) (a^2+ab+b^2) (a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)[/itex]
 
Yes, but that would be marked wrong because the problem asked for four factors. Borek's brilliant answer gets the gold star!