1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express the following in the form of a Complex Number

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For my waves class, I have to do this problem. I've previously completed a question like this except there was no phase constant (∏/4) in that question.
    Express the following in the form x = Re [Ae^i[itex]\alpha[/itex]e^iwt
    x=cos(wt + ∏/4) - sin(wt)

2. Relevant equations

euler's formula e^iwt = cos(wt) + isin(wt)
    complex amplitude = √A2+B2
    complex angle = tan [itex]\alpha[/itex] = y/x

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that cos(wt + ∏/4) = Re [e^i(wt + ∏/4)] and -sin(wt) = Re [ie^iwt]

combining these two, i have Re [e^i(wt + ∏/4) + ie^iwt] which, after factoring, becomes
    Re [e^iwt (e^i∏/4 + i)]

My problem is, what do i do with the e^i∏/4 to get the complex amplitude and complex angle? In my previous problem without the ∏/4 shift, i was able to plot in Cartesian coordinates Im vs Re and successfully convert to polar coordinates. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2
    ##e^{i \pi/4}## is a complex number. So is ##e^{i \pi/4} + i##. Find it, then represent it as ## A e^{i\alpha}##.

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about changing your x into x = Acos(x + ψ)? Just high school trig.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. Sep 18, 2013 #4
    so i made the e^i[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 into cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/4)+sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/4) by using eulers formula. Now i calculated the complex amplitude to be √2.414. and the complex angle to be 35.26 degrees or 0.6155 rad. The answer i get is x = Re [√2.414 e^i0.6155t e^iwt ] is this correct?

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    This is the complex amplitude of what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted