Don’t understand the general form of the Sinusoidal Wave Equation

jjson775
TL;DR Summary
Don’t understand the general form of the sinusoidal wave equation.
I am a retired engineer, 81 years old, self studying modern physics using Young and Freedman University Physics.

I am familiar with the wave equation y(x,t) = A cos (kx - wt) where A = amplitude, k = wave number and w (omega) = angular frequency.

in the chapter introducing quantum mechanics, this equation is shown as:
y(x,t) = A cos (kx - wt) + B sin (kx - wt). What is the “B” part? Is it another amplitude? The equation is not shown in this form at all in the chapter on mechanical waves.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the trigonometric identity ##C\sin(\theta+\phi)=C\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)+C\cos(\theta)\sin(\phi)##? If you replace ##\theta## with ##kx-\omega t## can you see what ##A## and ##B## are?

By the way, if you're going to post maths here it's worth having a read of the LaTeX Guide, linked below the reply box. It makes maths much easier to read. There's a known bug that the maths doesn't render in preview, so you may possibly need to refresh the page to see the maths - if you see # marks in my previous paragraph, you need to refresh.

Likes vanhees71
I still don’t see where this is headed.

Attachments

• 1694312540063.png
    1694312540063.png
    5 KB · Views: 54
That's all there is to it.

The point is that with ##C\sin(kx+\omega t)##, at ##t=0## the amplitude at ##x=0## is always zero. But that isn't always what you want. Sometimes the amplitude is non-zero at ##x=0## and zero at some other point, which is to say that there is an offset in your wave, usually denoted ##\phi##. The equation of that wave is ##C\sin(kx+\omega t+\phi)##. You can get to the expression you asked about with the trigonometric identity I quoted.

What you have here is an example of decomposing a wave into two waves added together. The trigonometric identity shows you that a wave with some arbitrary phase offset can be written as a sine wave with a certain amplitude and no phase offset plus a cosine wave with a certain amplitude and no phase offset. It's purely a mathematical trick, but sometimes makes subsequent maths easier.

So the answer to your question is that ##A## and ##B## are the amplitudes of the sine and cosine waves with zero phase offset that you need to add together to get a single sine wave of amplitude ##C## and phase offset ##\phi##. You've worked out the mathematical relationships between ##A##, ##B## and ##C##.

Likes scottdave, Juanda and vanhees71
Got it. Thanks! I have seen this equation pop up in lectures on YouTube and now in my textbook without any derivation or explanation. A useful mathematical trick, as you say.

Likes berkeman and Ibix
Your comment that it can make subsequent math easier is spot on. It showed up in my textbook to show how it satisfies the general wave equation using partial differentiation leading up to introduction of the Schrödinger equation.

Likes Ibix

1. What is the general form of the Sinusoidal Wave Equation?

The general form of the Sinusoidal Wave Equation is y = A*sin(Bx + C) + D, where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, C is the phase shift, and D is the vertical shift.

2. How do I determine the amplitude of a sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal wave is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point of the wave. It can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the sine or cosine function in the equation.

3. What does the frequency represent in the Sinusoidal Wave Equation?

The frequency in the Sinusoidal Wave Equation represents the number of cycles or complete repetitions of the wave that occur in one unit of time. It is measured in units of radians per unit of time.

4. How do I calculate the period of a sinusoidal wave?

The period of a sinusoidal wave is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle or repetition of the wave. It can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the frequency, or by finding the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave.

5. What is the significance of the phase shift in the Sinusoidal Wave Equation?

The phase shift in the Sinusoidal Wave Equation represents the horizontal displacement or shift of the wave. It can affect the starting point of the wave and the position of its peaks and troughs. A positive phase shift moves the wave to the left, while a negative phase shift moves it to the right.