Expressing a number in scientific notation and factoring a cubic

In summary, scientific notation is a standardized way of expressing very large or very small numbers. To express a number in scientific notation, you move the decimal point and count the number of places you moved it as the exponent. Factoring a cubic is the process of breaking down a cubic polynomial into its factors using techniques such as grouping or the difference of cubes formula. Scientific notation is useful for representing and performing calculations with numbers of different magnitudes. To factor a cubic polynomial, you can use methods such as grouping, the difference of cubes formula, or the rational root theorem, and test potential factors using synthetic division or the factor theorem.
drop
Basically I don't know anyone in real life that can help me with this, so I need help checking to see if my answers are correct :)

PART A

5) Express .00024 in Sci Notation

My answer: 2.4 x 10^-4

6) Factor the following completely: 3x^3 - 18x^2 + 24x

My Answer: (3x)(x - 4)(x - 2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Please check my answers - 3

Both correct.

1. What is scientific notation?

Scientific notation is a way of expressing numbers that are very large or very small in a concise and standardized format. It consists of a decimal number between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10.

2. How do you express a number in scientific notation?

To express a number in scientific notation, move the decimal point of the original number so that there is only one non-zero digit to the left of the decimal point. Then, count the number of places you moved the decimal point. This number will be the exponent of 10 in scientific notation.

3. What is factoring a cubic?

Factoring a cubic is the process of breaking down a cubic polynomial into its factors. A cubic polynomial has the highest degree of 3, and its factors can be found by using techniques such as the grouping method or the difference of cubes formula.

4. Why is scientific notation useful?

Scientific notation is useful because it allows us to represent very large and very small numbers in an organized and easy-to-read format. It also helps in performing calculations with these numbers and in comparing numbers with different magnitudes.

5. How do you factor a cubic polynomial?

There are various methods for factoring a cubic polynomial, but some common techniques include grouping, the difference of cubes formula, and the rational root theorem. It may also be helpful to use synthetic division or the factor theorem to test potential factors.