Writing Scientific Notation: Alternatives to mx10n

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of writing values in scientific notation without using symbols or letters that already have other meanings. The suggested solution is using "nEm" instead of "mx10n," but it is still prone to confusion with the variable "E." The conversation also mentions the use of magnitude prefixes and the alternatives to using "x" for multiplication.
zachfoltz
So all my life I have disliked writing in scientific notation's notation as mx10n where m and n are constants, because it looks indistinguishable from m times x times 10 to the n power. Alternatively it looks like the cross product of m and 10^n, which makes little sense because m and n are not vectors. Calculators and programs tend to display numbers in "calculator notation" men or mEn, which looks like m times Euler's constant to the n power or m times a variable E to the n.

My question is aside from m(10n) which I have never seen anyone write it as, is there an accepted way of writing values in scientific notation that doesn't require the use of symbols or letters that can or do already mean something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nEm is probably the closest you'll find.

That has the same issue that E could be mistaken for a variable.

Do you know of any symbols that don't " already mean something"? It certainly not unusual for symbols to have different meanings in different situations- you just have learn their use. And, in fact, it is very unusual to use "x" to indicate multiplication in anything other than basic arithmetic! It is more common, in algebra and above, to use parentheses (which would be confused with your suggested "m(10n"!) or, occasionally, "*", adopted from computer languages.

often you scale your units by using the magnitude prefix (centi,milli,micro,etc) to avoid writing magnitude numerically.

zachfoltz said:
So all my life I have disliked writing in scientific notation's notation as mx10n where m and n are constants, because it looks indistinguishable from m times x times 10 to the n power.
You could always write ##m \cdot 10^n##. I don't believe anyone will find that confusing.

Euler's constant is always written lower case 'e' and is never capitalized.

1. What is scientific notation and why is it used in scientific writing?

Scientific notation is a way of writing numbers that are very large or very small in a more compact form. It consists of a number between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10. This format is commonly used in scientific writing to represent numbers that are too large or too small to be easily written out in decimal form.

2. Are there alternative ways to represent numbers in scientific notation?

Yes, there are alternatives to the traditional mx10n format. One alternative is the E-notation, which uses a capital "E" to represent the exponent, such as 2.5E6. Another alternative is the SI prefix notation, which uses prefixes such as kilo, mega, and giga to represent the magnitude of the number, such as 2.5M for 2.5 million.

3. When should I use scientific notation in my writing?

Scientific notation should be used when the number being represented is very large or very small, typically with more than 6 digits. It can also be used when writing out measurements that have a lot of zeros, such as in chemistry or physics.

4. How do I convert a number to scientific notation?

To convert a number to scientific notation, move the decimal point to the left or right until it is between 1 and 10. Count the number of places you moved the decimal point, and this will be the exponent in the mx10n format. If you moved the decimal point to the left, the exponent will be positive. If you moved it to the right, the exponent will be negative.

5. Is it necessary to use scientific notation in all scientific writing?

No, it is not necessary to use scientific notation in all scientific writing. It is most commonly used for very large or small numbers, but if the numbers are easily written out in decimal form, it is acceptable to use the standard format. It is important to use scientific notation when it helps to make the numbers more readable and understandable.