Expressing force in cartesian vector form

In summary, the student attempted to solve for F1 but was not very confident in his work. He used the sine of 45 degrees for the calculation of F1y and assumed the base of the dark blue triangle was at the y-axis. He also agreed that the x component of F1 was equal to the other leg of the dark blue triangle.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch2.p65.jpg

Express F1 and F2 in cartesian vector form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel fairly confident in my work for F2 but F1 not so much. Especially the j component of F1. I assume my F(1x) component runs from the z axis to the tip of F1 and my F(1k) component runs from the tip of F1 to the line below (which forms the light blue triangle). F(1y) runs along the y-axis and forms the base of the dark blue triangle (I think). Any help would be much appreciated!

F(1x)= -300cos60 = -150lb
F(1y) = 300cos60sin45 = 106lb
F(1z) = 300sin60 = 260lb
F1 = -150i + 106J + 260k

F2 = 50cos60i + 500cos45j + 500cos120 = 250i + 354j - 250k

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
Hibbeler14.ch2.p65.jpg

I assume my F(1x) component runs from the z axis to the tip of F1
I don't think this is correct.

All of your other components for F1 and all of your components for F2 look correct to me.

Are you saying my F(1x) does not look correct?

Robb said:

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch2.p65.jpg

Express F1 and F2 in cartesian vector form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel fairly confident in my work for F2 but F1 not so much. Especially the j component of F1. I assume my F(1x) component runs from the z axis to the tip of F1 and my F(1k) component runs from the tip of F1 to the line below (which forms the light blue triangle). F(1y) runs along the y-axis and forms the base of the dark blue triangle (I think). Any help would be much appreciated!

F(1z) = 300sin60 = 260lb
F1 = -150i + 106J + 260k

F2 = 50cos60i + 500cos45j + 500cos120 = 250i + 354j - 250k
It looks to me that the base of the F1 parallelogram (rectangle) in the figure lies in the x-y plane and makes an angle of 45° with the y-axis.

The F1 makes an angle of 60° with the base of the parallelogram (rectangle).

I agree. What part of my work do you not think is correct?

Robb said:
I agree. What part of my work do you not think is correct?
The magnitude of your vector is not 300 N.

Robb said:
Are you saying my F(1x) does not look correct?
Yes, I don't agree with your result for F1x. I think it should be similar to your calculation for F1y.
For your calculation of F1y, why did you use the sine of 45 rather than the cosine of 45?

I figured the cosine would give the base of the parallelogram. I thought I needed the base of the dark blue triangle along the y-axis to give the y component. I though 300 cos30 was the hypotenuse of the dark blue triangle.

Robb said:
I thought I needed the base of the dark blue triangle along the y-axis to give the y component.
Yes. But isn't the base of the dark blue triangle (along the y axis) the "side adjacent" to the angle marked 45 degrees in the triangle? So, I would think you would use the cosine rather than the sine of 45 degrees. (Of course they happen to be equal for 45 degrees, but if it had been 40 degrees you would need to choose the correct trig function.)
I though 300 cos30 was the hypotenuse of the dark blue triangle.
Yes, that's right. Isn't the x component of F1 equal to the other leg of the dark blue triangle?

Maybe my old eyes aren't seeing the diagram correctly.

TSny said:
Yes, that's right. Isn't the x component of F1 equal to the other leg of the dark blue triangle?
I agree, (except for the sign).

Likes TSny
SammyS said:
I agree, (except for the sign).
Yes. The sign needs to be considered!

So, F(1x) = -300cos60sin45
F(1y) = 300cos60cos45
F(1z) = 300sin60

1. What is meant by "expressing force in cartesian vector form"?

Expressing force in cartesian vector form refers to representing a force using cartesian coordinates and vectors. This involves breaking down the force into its components along the x, y, and z axes in a three-dimensional coordinate system.

2. Why is it important to express force in cartesian vector form?

Expressing force in cartesian vector form allows for a more precise and accurate description of the direction and magnitude of a force. This is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications, such as analyzing the motion of objects or designing structures.

3. How do you calculate the components of a force in cartesian vector form?

The components of a force in cartesian vector form can be calculated using trigonometry and the given angle and magnitude of the force. The x-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle, while the y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle. The z-component can be found if the force is not purely in the xy-plane by using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can forces be added or subtracted in cartesian vector form?

Yes, forces can be added or subtracted in cartesian vector form. This is known as vector addition or subtraction and involves combining the components of the forces along each axis to find the resultant force.

5. Are there any limitations to expressing force in cartesian vector form?

One limitation is that it only works in a three-dimensional coordinate system. Additionally, it assumes that the force is acting on a single point and does not take into account the distribution of the force along an object. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to use other coordinate systems, such as polar or cylindrical coordinates, to express force.