Calculating 3D Component Vectors and Resultant Force for Inclined Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the component vectors and resultant force of two forces, F1 and F2, of magnitudes 80N and 130N respectively. F2 is directed along the negative z-axis, while F1 is directed 40 degrees from the +x direction, 50 degrees from the -y direction, and 30 degrees from the +z direction. To find the z-component of F1, the vector is drawn on a plane defined by the z-axis and the vector, and its projection onto the xy plane is taken into account. The conversation also mentions the need for the sum of the cosine squares to equal 1 in order to properly determine the angles of the resultant force.
yhumei
Express each force as a Cartesian vector and then determine the resultant force F. Find the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of the resultant force and sketch this vector on th coordinate system.
There's a drawing of 1 force(F2) of magnitude 130N, along the negative z direction(-z), and another force(F1) of magnitude 80N, 40 degrees from the +x direction, 50 degrees from the -y direction and an incline of 30 degrees on the +z direction.

I want to know the component vectors of this force

I know how to find the component vectors of the forces using the x-axis direction and the y-axis directions only, I don't know the way to find the component vectors for the z-axis. (Which I think are (80sin40i and 80cos40j) if I am wrong please correct me.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yuhumei and welcome to PF. Consider a plane defined by the z-axis and the vector. Draw your vector assuming that the paper is that plane. Can you find its z-component?

you're mis-interpreting the diagram ...
If those angles were really from the vector itself straight to each axis,
then (cos^2 + cos^2 + cos^2) has to = 1.
Probably, the "projection" of the 80N force onto the xy plane is 50deg from -y and 40deg from +x ... and the vector is 30deg from z .

1. What are 3D component vectors?

3D component vectors are mathematical representations of a physical or abstract quantity that has both magnitude and direction in a three-dimensional space. They are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to represent forces, velocities, and other quantities that have a direction associated with them.

2. How do you find the components of a 3D vector?

To find the components of a 3D vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The x-component can be found by taking the magnitude of the vector and multiplying it by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. Similarly, the y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle, and the z-component by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the z-axis.

3. What is the importance of finding 3D component vectors?

Finding 3D component vectors is important because it allows us to break down a vector into its individual components, which can then be used for further calculations. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the direction and magnitude of a vector in a three-dimensional space, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

4. Can 3D component vectors be negative?

Yes, 3D component vectors can be negative. The direction of a vector can be positive or negative, depending on the direction it is pointing in a coordinate system. For example, a vector pointing in the negative x-direction would have a negative x-component.

5. What are some real-life applications of 3D component vectors?

3D component vectors have numerous real-life applications, including physics (such as calculating the force of gravity on an object), engineering (such as analyzing forces on a structure), computer graphics (such as creating 3D animations), and navigation (such as determining the direction and magnitude of a moving object).