Expressing the binomial coefficients

In summary, we can show that (n over r) can be expressed as (n-r+1)/r (n over r-1) by simplifying algebraically using the definition of binomial coefficients, nCr = n! / [r! * (n - r)!]. By simplifying the terms, we get n!/r!(n-r)! which is equivalent to nCr.
vanitymdl

Homework Statement

Expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials and simplifying algebraically, show that
(n over r) = (n-r+1)/r (n over r-1);

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know how to come about this problem...I really need help in this subject. Even how to start it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey vanitymdl and welcome to the forums.

What is the definition of nCr? Try using this definition and then simplify as much as you can. If you get stuck show us what you have done so you can get suggestions.

I'll get you started by saying that nCr = n! / [r! * (n - r)!] where x! is x factorial (i.e. you multiply all numbers from 1 to x and returns the result for x!). We also define 0! to be 1 and don't consider negative factorials to exist.

I guess that part that is confusing me is how can I multiply (n-r+1)/r (n over r-1)?

vanitymdl said:
I guess that part that is confusing me is how can I multiply (n-r+1)/r (n over r-1)?

By this do you mean [(n-r+1)/r] * nC(r-1) or (n-r+1) / [r * nC(r-1)] (or something else)?

chiro said:
By this do you mean [(n-r+1)/r] * nC(r-1) or (n-r+1) / [r * nC(r-1)] (or something else)?

I mean, [(n-r+1)/r] * nC(r-1). So how would I come about that?

Since nC(r-1) = n! / [(r-1)! * (n - r + 1)!] then you have

[n-r+1]/r * nC(r-1) = n! * (n-r+1)/[r*(r-1)! * (n-r+1)!]

Now r*(r-1)! = r! and (n-r+1)/(n-r+1)! = 1/(n-r)! (you can just expand the factorial).

Using these hints, can you simplify further?

And Yes you can... so the [n-r+1]/r * nC(r-1) will simplify to n!/r!(n-r)!

So this will lead me to the nCr which is n!/r!(n-r)!

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are mathematical expressions that represent the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion. They are used to simplify and solve complex algebraic equations.

2. How do you express binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are typically expressed using the notation "n choose k" or "nCk", where n and k are integers and n is greater than or equal to k. The value of the coefficient is calculated using the formula n!/(k!(n-k)!), where ! represents the factorial operator.

3. What is the purpose of expressing binomial coefficients?

The main purpose of expressing binomial coefficients is to simplify and solve algebraic equations involving binomial expansions. They allow for easier calculation and understanding of complex equations.

4. What are some common uses of binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are commonly used in probability and combinatorics to calculate the number of possible combinations or outcomes in a given situation. They are also used in Pascal's Triangle, a mathematical pattern that shows the coefficients of binomial expansions.

5. Are there any special properties of binomial coefficients?

Yes, binomial coefficients have several special properties, including symmetry (n choose k = n choose (n-k)), the fact that they always produce integers, and the ability to be calculated using various methods such as Pascal's Triangle or the binomial theorem.